VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She will be 16 in December and will get her "real" license shortly after that, so we are contemplating getting a car basically to be hers to drive
Right now with her learners she has been driving mostly my 3500cclb DRW with no problem.
She wants a Mustang or a Camaro, but Im thinking they might be to tempting to a new driver. I am leaning toward the Chevy Cruise, safer better mileage and yes, less expensive than the other choices. She will have to get a job and contribute to the payments, but with where we live, she cant get a job until she gets transportation.
Or do I get her a jeep and have it painted to make it look like her Barbie jeep she had when she was three...

Opinions?
What did/would/will you be getting the youngun when that time comes.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I don't believe in getting a new driver too nice of a car. If you start out with ultra nice in the beginning, they won't appreciate it. You will be setting the standard too high. I have driven some really crappy cars and I now think my '08 Yaris is awesome.

·
I don't eat animals.
60 Posts
Go for a dependable used car with excellent mileage.
Our son got a speeding ticket (95 in a 55) two months after getting his license (in my Miata) so I'm against teens + sporty cars.
He totalled a jeep when he slid on black ice when he was 17, so I'm against teens + expensive cars.
My daughter is 16 now and I cannot believe how much drive time she gets in between school, extracurriculars, and part-time job, not to mention social excursions, so I'm for good mileage in a vehicle. She is happy with her honda civic.

And if you live where there is snow and ice, better to limit the teen's time driving on it if possible.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I dunno, I tend to think my dad's logic and decisions were best on this, I had to get a job and get a car myself if I wanted one to a) build my own credit and b) teach me responsibility.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I don't believe in getting a new driver too nice of a car. If you start out with ultra nice in the beginning, they won't appreciate it. You will be setting the standard too high. I have driven some really crappy cars and I now think my '08 Yaris is awesome.
Thats because a Yaris IS awesome!

I got a used car when I was 15. It was built the year I was born. I got a job and within less than a year I got a new car. I think its probably best to have a used car (that won't hurt so much if you lose it) and then your daughter can upgrade herself.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm 16 and drive a hand-me-down '96 Dodge Caravan. I'm grateful for it because I didn't have to pay for it and it works (OK, the headlights don't work, but I just don't drive at night/in the rain)
I'm against expensive/fancy cars for teens. They often get totalled or not taken care of right. If she's getting a car as a gift she should be grateful for it, fancy or not.
I'd just pick a mediocre not-too-expensive safe car that gets OK/good gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Opinions?
What did/would/will you be getting the youngun when that time comes.
I purchased my first car with my own money. A 1976 Dodge Aspen. I don't believe in getting a teenager a nice car. They really need to learn the value of a dollar, and buying them a nice car, just isn't (IMO) the way to do it. I understand the catch 22 situation she's in ...can't get a job without a car, can't afford a car without a job, but it should just be a basic, used, set of wheels.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

I purchased my first car with my own money. A 1976 Dodge Aspen. I don't believe in getting a teenager a nice car. They really need to learn the value of a dollar, and buying them a nice car, just isn't (IMO) the way to do it. I understand the catch 22 situation she's in ...can't get a job without a car, can't afford a car without a job, but it should just be a basic, used, set of wheels.
I dunno, I got a full time job with full time school with out a car, and managed both. Its amazing what you can do with the parameters you're given.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
My first car was a used hand-me-down Corvair. My sister drove it first, then I got it when she bought another car. When I started working full-time, I purchased a used Firebird and then totaled it.

I was not in a position to buy cars for any of my kids. They shared the family car until they saved enough money to buy their own.

It's hard for me to say what I would have done if I had the money, but I'm pretty sure I would buy them a car if I could afford it. I would probably go for something practical, like a civic or subaru.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _elle_ View Post

And if you live where there is snow and ice, better to limit the teen's time driving on it if possible.
They have to learn sometime or they will turn into adults who don't know how to drive on snow and ice. We have enough of those, around here anyway.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I didn't get my own car until I was 20, and that's also only because my mother in law bought it for us to help us out, since I had my son at 19 and was having a tough time. If I had been given a car at 16, I would have pretty much just used it to get to house parties anyway. I had a job in a town with no public transit, and my mom drove me, or I borrowed her car. If you think its necessary for her to get one, I highly recommend getting one used at an auction. The cars are cheap and auctions are fun to go to :p

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I got a used car when I got my licence at 17. My dad got it at auction for my older brother, then it was passed to me. I left it at home when I moved to a city with good public transport so my dad just sold it on again. I hated the car for it's tiny size and awful colour but was grateful to have one. I had to pay for all my own petrol. Go for something safe and cheap to run and make sure responsibilty comes with it.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1, no used cars, never know how they have been cared for. Around the DC area, you do not take a chance of a teen girl breaking down, or you at least limit it.
2, for me to drive her back and forth to work would be twice the fuel used, and we are about 15 miles from the nearest place for her to work,
3, no foriegn cars unless its a VW.. Cant beat German engineering.. of course the intellect of the U.S government has pretty much killed the mileage of the German cars. but still..
4, non of that foolish electric stuff yet, its not (in my opinion) ready for practical use yet.

And, you all can bet your backsides that she will be working and she will be paying. All I plan to do is sign the papers so she can get it.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everyone keeps mentioning speed of the car, and I agree, but what some might not realize is that with cars today you an get a programmer and reprogram the ECM and the TCM to limit acceleration, top speed etc...

I have one for my truck, Before she got her learners I had the truck programmed at 500hp +/-, when she started driving in it, it took me about 10 minutes to set it back to 310hp with a top speed of 95.3mph before it defuels.
The same would/will be done to any car she gets,, if she gets a Camaro, unless she wants to be totally shamed, she better not even try to race a Prius. It will beat her..

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

And, you all can bet your backsides that she will be working and she will be paying. All I plan to do is sign the papers so she can get it.
Then why do you care about what kind of car she gets?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts