VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya, erm. I'm new here!

I'm 18 and I'll be starting uni in september. I've been veggie on/off for the last three years, but whilst I am stil living at home I will eat white meat and fish occassionaly, only because my family is very opposed to me being vegetarian. My mum works in healthcare and is convinced that I would be without protein and iron despite any information I have given her to prove otherwise. She is a bit better about it all now, I mean she's not taking my to the doctors every other month for blood tests to check my iron levels anymore, which has to be a good sign.

Once I go to uni though, I'll be cutting meat out of my diet completely, so really I'm just trying to gather as much info about veggie food on a students budget before I go.

so, ello

nic x

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Hi nikeoli!

Welcome! This place is awesome, you'll find a lot of knowledge and fun here.

Sorry to hear that about your parents. I assume you are vegetarian because of the animals. Do you know there is tons of credible medical and nutritional research out there showing that vegetarian diets are not only nutritionally adequate, but also potentially healthier than meat eating?

Do you think your mom and the rest of your family would change their opinions if you show it to them? There are several very good brochures, books and articles we can refer you to. Post your question in the "Healthy Living" or "Vegetarian and Vegan" forum!

Most probably your mom has enccountered in her job the consequences of eating TOO MUCH protein (osteoporosis, gout, obesity....) much more often than people with an actual protein deficiency. The protein issue is really a myth, fact is if you eat a varied diet, you get all the protein you need.

Look forward to get to know you better! Log on every day and post often!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hiya
thanks for the welcomes. I've given my mum so much info on the topic now, so I've decided that the best way would be to live a healthy veggie life at uni and prove that it can be done when I come home fit and well and meat-free

I'm gonna go explore now

nicx

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Allright!

(Then your mom lives in denial, but you probably know that better than I do
)

What will you study, BTW?

Ah - see? That's a MUCH better avatar!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! The last one was a picture of me thankuverymuch
! heehee, ok so kate winslet is far prettier

My course next year depends on how my A-Level's went. Hopefully I'll have gotten an A for my English Paper and I'll be studying Literature with Creative Writing. If not, English, Film & Media.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
What? Who is Kate Winslett? OK I know she's an actress but I wouldn't recognize her.

And anyhow: I didn't say the previous avatar was UGLY, did I??????

I thought it's the same girl, her face just closer to the camera AND with a nice-funny smile on her face.

So..... If you have such a pic of you, than I take it over Kate! If not, then bring back the old one!!!

Please?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, nah I'm teasing!

the incorrectly sized avatar was from (above) piccy. thanks pyrsk, my hair bugs me sometimes. I'm not so keen on standing out.
the flowers are from a shrek headband thingy, it was my birthday and apparently silly head-gear is appropriate

·
Registered
807 Posts
Welcome to the boards, nikeoli! I'm a student, too. If you need any "low-budget" veggie meal ideas, let me know!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welcome Nikeoli! I'm a student (a Literature w/Creative Writing Emphasis major) whose mother worries that I don't eat fish too! This is a very friendly place to post--hope you have fun here!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Good to meet you. Hellos to veggiewriter, too.

I graduated English Lit, specializing in Creative Writing.

Very cool to see other like-minded individuals, in more ways than one!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi nikeoli!
I'm sure you'll find all the information you need to become completely veggie here. Good luck on starting down the veg path and welcome!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts