VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if all New Balance shoes are vegan? I was looking at some in the stores yesterday, and the uppers on most of their styles are collection of various pieces, and some of them looked leather-ish. Their web site says that most of the materials are synthetic, but it's not very specific.

--Fromper

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, but I don't think that's a very comprehensive list. That site only carries 2 pairs of men's running shoes, compared to 40 that New Balance makes. Given how many specifically say that they're synthetic on New Balance's web site, I think they just have a limited selection at veganstore.

I emailed New Balance to ask them. I actually suspect from checking their web site that they're all vegan, but I'm not sure.

--Fromper

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just to let people know, I found women's non-leather new balance running shoes at marshalls for about half of the normal price.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Thanks for the link, but I don't think that's a very comprehensive list. That site only carries 2 pairs of men's running shoes, compared to 40 that New Balance makes. Given how many specifically say that they're synthetic on New Balance's web site, I think they just have a limited selection at veganstore.

I emailed New Balance to ask them. I actually suspect from checking their web site that they're all vegan, but I'm not sure.

--Fromper

I don't think all the New Balance shoes are vegan (unless they recently changed) because I have seen some leather ones but I think the majority are synthetic.

Keep us updated on the reply from them if you can because I'd be interested to know which ones are vegan since I really like the brand.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamzadori View Post

Just to let people know, I found women's non-leather new balance running shoes at marshalls for about half of the normal price.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I was originally looking at New Balance just because that's the main vegan-looking brand that I saw while looking at a discount shoe store over the weekend. So I don't know if Marshall will be any cheaper, but I'll check it out. Maybe they'll have a better selection of stuff in my size, even if their prices aren't better.

--Fromper

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
They are not all vegan, but the vegan ones are easily recognized from reading the label (at least in the US). I've visited a couple of NB stores as well, and found them to be pretty knowledgeable also, especially when I said that I wanted to know where the shoes were made AND what they were made of. They might've been thinking "crazy vegetarian commie", but they were polite.
(unlike some other stores)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

They are not all vegan, but the vegan ones are easily recognized from reading the label (at least in the US). I've visited a couple of NB stores as well, and found them to be pretty knowledgeable also, especially when I said that I wanted to know where the shoes were made AND what they were made of. They might've been thinking "crazy vegetarian commie", but they were polite.
(unlike some other stores)
I had the same experience. I highly recommend going to the New Balance store. The price might be a little higher, but they actually knew a lot about the shoes, knew right away which were leather (and acted like that was a common, normal thing to want), and they properly measured my feet and the fit to make sure I wasn't going to injure myself in the shoes once I started wearing them. They also said that NB sizes are a bit different (mine are 10 and I normally wear 9 or 9.5). They also have all different widths in the back, so I was able to get an extra narrow, which I need. They actually said I needed AAA, but they didn't have those!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, there's no New Balance store near here, but their shoes are all over the place. Also, I'm not sure what labels you're reading that tell you what they're made of. None of the ones I've seen have any labels, let alone useful ones, and I've seen these things in 3 different stores.

Thanks for posting that link, eggplant. That really helped. Not every shoe says the material, but a bunch of them do.

--Fromper

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
The labels I'm thinking of are on the inside of the tongues of the shoes. The say "100% leather upper" or "100 man-made materials" or things like that. But...heh...I just looked at my own 400's (which I need to put on my feet and actually go running in
) had it stamped, but not on the tag.

I did discover that most of the US-made ones were leather. My pair that I have now were made in China. My next pair of shoes, later this year probably, will likely come from a vegetarian shoe store. Sigh.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

The labels I'm thinking of are on the inside of the tongues of the shoes. The say "100% leather upper" or "100 man-made materials" or things like that. But...heh...I just looked at my own 400's (which I need to put on my feet and actually go running in
) had it stamped, but not on the tag.

I did discover that most of the US-made ones were leather. My pair that I have now were made in China. My next pair of shoes, later this year probably, will likely come from a vegetarian shoe store. Sigh.
None of them had that on the tongues of the shoes. That was one of the places I kept looking, because some brands did have useful info there. All the New Balance shoes just had a little size chart there.

Looking at the web site of the store that was posted, which is in the US, I found that their men's running shoes listed 12 vegan styles, 2 non-vegan styles, and 7 that didn't say. I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to New Balance themselves, but I may go check a local store after work tonight to see if any of the 12 vegan styles are in stock and fit me.

--Fromper

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The response from their Customer Service was downright worthless. I asked several questions, and they only answered one, and it wasn't the one about which shoes are made from what materials.

In searching the web, I did find a veg board where someone posted saying that New Balance shoes were either all leather or all synthetic, never mixed, which is useful to know. Also, they specifically say that they don't call any of their shoes vegan, even if the uppers are synthetic, because they can't vouch for the glue that they use. Give them points for being honest, anyway. Looking at the stuff at the local stores, some of them are pretty obviously synthetic, but others I couldn't tell.

I found one pair that fit well with a very clearly synthetic upper, so I bought them. Now I just have to find the time to actually go jogging in them.

--Fromper

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
The glue falls into the "don't sweat it" category, imo. It's funny that they were so unhelpful. When you search for "New Balance vegan" or similar, you can see that this is a much discussed subject on message boards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts