VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is both my first post on this forum as well as my first full day as a Vegetarian/Pescetarian (I'm still trying to figure out which one I am).

I'm here to ask for guidance as I don't know anyone who is Vegetarian, Vegan, or anything other than an Omnivore.

So, my first question is probably one that people come here asking all the time;

"What do I do?"

And of course the most obvious answer is, "Don't eat meat!" which, I got that part, thank you! :]

What I mean is this:

I've heard that with the loss of meat you need to take supplements to keep your body healthy, what are these?

Also, where do you go to buy non-meat "meat"? I tried my local Fry's and the selection is terrible (as in they had no more than 10-15 different items). I live in Tucson, AZ if that helps.

Thank you~

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have been going for 4 weeks now and feel great, no need for supplements imo, most people eat way too much protein anyway and you can get enough from tofu, beans, lentils and dairy/soya depending on your view on dairy.

live in northern ireland so can't help with sourcing things but look on it as a chance to eat loads of new stuff as opposed to what you normally eat but with fake meat. their plenty of meal ideas on here and elsewhere on the net.

also if you eat fish you are pescatarian and not vegetarian. i am new here as well but would advise against discussing eating fish here as it's fairly strict on it being vegetarian only here. that said i have found these boards very informative and most are friendly and supportive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if I decide to go Pescetarian I will keep it on the down low, thank you. :]

And as for eating tofu, beans, and lentils.. That's something I need to get used to. I use some tofu when I have Miso soup, but the other two I've never been a big fan of. I guess I will have to get used to those or try them in things that taste good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never actually tried Indian. I hear it is spicy, which I don't like. Same with Thai. Though I have always wanted to try both..

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
If you are going to continue being an omnivore by eating sea life (which ARE animals), or lacto-ovo vegetarian (eats eggs/dairy), then your dietary needs should be well met on a balance diet. If you were to eat a vegan diet (no animal products at all), you would need to supplement with B12 or eat B12 fortified foods.

From a mod warning side of things, scotty is correct, the terms of service you agreed to when joining stated that you must be vegetarian or have a sincere interest in converting to vegetarianism to continue posting. Pescatarianism is not a form of vegetarianism and if it is your decision to follow a pescatarian diet, then this is not an appropriate forum for you, and discussion of animal consumption may result in your account being banned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, fish are animals. I don't know how anyone would disagree on that.

I apologize for bringing up an apparently taboo topic, I apologize and will not bring it up again. I must have missed it in my registration. A few things to go along with that though. One, I hope I am not instantly disliked for the contemplation (and for bringing it up). Two, discussion of animal consumption, even hypothetically, is banned as well? I was contemplating starting a forum to ask a few questions of the long-time vegetarians as to reasons of why they do not consume animals. Would this get me banned?

Now, back on topic. Let's say I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I barely eat/drink dairy other than a few glasses of milk a day. Would supplements still be advised?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would take 1000mg of B12 for a couple of months, so that your B12 levels don't drop too low. Afterwards you can lower the dose and see how you feel, and down the road you can cut off of it all together. The fish is a sore issue, as there is a major misconception out in the public these days that you can eat fish and still be Vegetarian, which is not the case. You didn't know this, so I don't hold it against you, since you are new to the boards. You may hit a touchy subject about why long-time Vegetarians do not eat animals. Be careful of the fires you light, as you can get burned by them. Many members get suspicious when new members ignite contentious subjects. Otherwise WELCOME to the boards, and hope you find tons of helpful info on these boards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I understand the touchy subjects issue, as well as the being burned by asking questions. It happened to me last time I made a major life change (which I will not disclose as it tends to get me into trouble).

May I ask where you would find these supplements? Like, could you find them at a Walmart or Trader Joes? Also, what does B12 do for the body?

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
^Welcome!

All but a precious few on this forum had the privilege of growing up veg*n! Some turned vegan overnight, many more took much longer. It doesn't matter so much how long it takes, as how you feel about it. It's more than just giving up meat, it's changing your concept of what food is, and that won't be reflected in the world around you, which is why this forum is so very special.
A vegan diet can be very healthy, or very unhealthy. Same as an omnivorious diet, and of course being lacto/ovo veg gives you middle ground. Whatever you choose is only as good as you make it, and the community here is a well informed group to help you stay veg.
Since this is new to you, I would recommend a good multivitimin. It is silly to think you'll need it more now, but now you are focusing on nutrition, and changing what you're used to, so you may as well cover all your bases.
I suggest you browse through the forum. You'll find MANY threads devoted to why we don't consider animals foods, and MANY threads on why that makes our foods better!

Remember, we're an assorted bunch, just like real life, but we all agree the veg life is the best life!

Have you tried Strides new gum- 'Spark'? It has 25% B12, and B6, I've seen both the blue pack mint (nice and sweet-my fave) and spearmint. Soymilk is usually fortified - up to 50%, you have to check. So is almond milk. If you haven't tried them, I bet you'll like at least oe.
I just got this multivitamin I like a lot:
http://www.amazon.com/Deva-Vegan-Mul...=pd_sim_hpc_13
They're only like 1/4 inch pellet, so very easy to take. I recommend having your iron checked before you supplement iron, as you don't want too much iron. These only have 10% iron.

·
Registered
185 Posts
First of all, welcome to veggieboards and congrats on starting your veggie journey! lol
I live in Glendale, AZ (just moved here a couple weeks ago actually) and the first thing I did was go around to all the different grocery stores to see what everyone's got. Part of it was also to see where they were, which ones had the best prices, and which ones I liked or didn't like. But since you already live there, you probably already know all that by now.

So what I'd recommend doing is thinking of all the different places near by you can get food from. Here in Glendale, we have Frys (the one by me had a pretty decent section of organic foods, vegetarian foods, and vegan foods. So I loved them
) Albertsons was a complete disappointment. Not sure if you've got them by you or not, but the one I went to here had literally one freezer door dedicated to vegetarian stuff, with a couple vegan things thrown in. I did find some nice veggie burgers in that one, single freezer case, but besides that there wasn't much else. Even my omni fiancee was kind of disappointed with that store lol

Walmart was ok. Some had better things than others, but it was sort of similar to the Albertsons situation where they have like, one freezer case on display for veg food and the rest is all meat lol

The one place I absolutely loved was Sprouts Farmers Market. I'm not sure if you have any by you but if you do, they'd be worth checking out. They carry lots of fruits and veggies for cheap prices, but also have a really nice selection for both vegetarians and vegans. My omni fiancee liked them too because of their low prices, their really wide variance of produce, and he even got some cheeses there too. So I'd definitely check them out if you've got a Sprouts nearby.

The main thing you want to remember though is to have to variety of things for you to eat. Don't just get all veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs or something. Throw some other stuff in there too. If you'd really like to try all the premade veggie meals and snacks, try different things. Like instead of just doing veggie meats, you can try some of the Amy's pies or burritos or try some of the veggie dishes. There are loads of things you can eat as a vegetarian so don't think of it as "well I can't eat this, I can't eat that" think of it as "Oh! I can eat that! And this looks good; I can have that!" Just explore the markets a bit and see how many veg things you can spot that are either marketed towards veg*ns and other products that are marketed towards everyone, like 'accidently veg*n' products

And good luck! You'll figure it all out with time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOne89 View Post

First of all, welcome to veggieboards and congrats on starting your veggie journey! lol
I live in Glendale, AZ (just moved here a couple weeks ago actually) and the first thing I did was go around to all the different grocery stores to see what everyone's got. Part of it was also to see where they were, which ones had the best prices, and which ones I liked or didn't like. But since you already live there, you probably already know all that by now.

So what I'd recommend doing is thinking of all the different places near by you can get food from. Here in Glendale, we have Frys (the one by me had a pretty decent section of organic foods, vegetarian foods, and vegan foods. So I loved them
) Albertsons was a complete disappointment. Not sure if you've got them by you or not, but the one I went to here had literally one freezer door dedicated to vegetarian stuff, with a couple vegan things thrown in. I did find some nice veggie burgers in that one, single freezer case, but besides that there wasn't much else. Even my omni fiancee was kind of disappointed with that store lol

Walmart was ok. Some had better things than others, but it was sort of similar to the Albertsons situation where they have like, one freezer case on display for veg food and the rest is all meat lol

The one place I absolutely loved was Sprouts Farmers Market. I'm not sure if you have any by you but if you do, they'd be worth checking out. They carry lots of fruits and veggies for cheap prices, but also have a really nice selection for both vegetarians and vegans. My omni fiancee liked them too because of their low prices, their really wide variance of produce, and he even got some cheeses there too. So I'd definitely check them out if you've got a Sprouts nearby.

The main thing you want to remember though is to have to variety of things for you to eat. Don't just get all veggie burgers or veggie hot dogs or something. Throw some other stuff in there too. If you'd really like to try all the premade veggie meals and snacks, try different things. Like instead of just doing veggie meats, you can try some of the Amy's pies or burritos or try some of the veggie dishes. There are loads of things you can eat as a vegetarian so don't think of it as "well I can't eat this, I can't eat that" think of it as "Oh! I can eat that! And this looks good; I can have that!" Just explore the markets a bit and see how many veg things you can spot that are either marketed towards veg*ns and other products that are marketed towards everyone, like 'accidently veg*n' products

And good luck! You'll figure it all out with time.
Your description of the Albertsons is basically what my Frys looks like, horribly disappointing.

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I forgot about Sprouts. I have one literally within walking distance of my apartment. I think I may go there tonight to see what they have, thank you!

And yeah, I've been looking around online to try to find some different veggie only dishes. I found a few really yummy looking lasagnas and appetizers that I may make for my omnivore boyfriend just to see how he likes them (he's pretty open about this, he just really loves burgers. Lol. Which I don't care as long as he is supportive!)

And welcome to Glendale! I actually used to live up there so I'm pretty familiar with the area. :]

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I became vegetarian a year and a half ago (before being interrupted on hcg injections which require animal products, getting off of hcg, starting yoga, and now I'm vegetarian again...this time for the long run), I would mourn not being able to eat shrimp or scallops.I'm active on yelp.com, and made a mistake of reviewing a restaurant, adding that I was vegetarian, but ordered scallops. Here came the firing squad. I don't know why I was sad about never eating shrimp or scallops again, I hardly ever order it. It's expensive. lol. I think vegan crab cakes are me weakness, though.

To reitterate, I don't eat seafood or any animal products now, and I'm close to going full on vegan.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonlynn View Post

When I became vegetarian a year and a half ago (before being interrupted on hcg injections which require animal products, getting off of hcg, starting yoga, and now I'm vegetarian again...this time for the long run), I would mourn not being able to eat shrimp or scallops.I'm active on yelp.com, and made a mistake of reviewing a restaurant, adding that I was vegetarian, but ordered scallops. Here came the firing squad. I don't know why I was sad about never eating shrimp or scallops again, I hardly ever order it. It's expensive. lol. I think crab cakes are me weakness, though.
You are not vegetarian.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah I am. I don't eat meat, seafood, or crab now. I eat all vegetables, no animal products. That was how I thought a year ago, I won't miss any of it. I have a recipe for vegan crab cakes, and I made some the other day. I'm sorry, I should've put vegan crab cakes are my weakness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts