VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i’m new here. i usually never do this.. but it is really bothering me and i feel like i need support.. my family are all omnivores so i feel alone most of the time. i am almost 19 and haven’t eaten meat in probably almost 5 years and became vegan a year ago. i am vegan for the ethical reason.. i love animals so much. i have been so diligent and strict with checking labels and have been so good with not consuming anything. then i had bought candy thinking they were a plant based and vegan candy company. there one pack of candy was labeled plant based and it was vegan. they said on their website they were a plant based company and all for it.. so i appreciated that and just assumed all of their products were vegan. well i had purchased another one of their candies cause i liked the first product and i had eaten two little bags of these gummies after coming to find out there was pork-based gelatin in these gummies! i wanted to cry.. i was so upset. now i can’t get it out of my head and just wish that wasn’t in my body. i’m just sad and feel bad :( wish i could take it back

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi i’m new here. i usually never do this.. but it is really bothering me and i feel like i need support.. my family are all omnivores so i feel alone most of the time. i am almost 19 and haven’t eaten meat in probably almost 5 years and became vegan a year ago. i am vegan for the ethical reason.. i love animals so much. i have been so diligent and strict with checking labels and have been so good with not consuming anything. then i had bought candy thinking they were a plant based and vegan candy company. there one pack of candy was labeled plant based and it was vegan. they said on their website they were a plant based company and all for it.. so i appreciated that and just assumed all of their products were vegan. well i had purchased another one of their candies cause i liked the first product and i had eaten two little bags of these gummies after coming to find out there was pork-based gelatin in these gummies! i wanted to cry.. i was so upset. now i can’t get it out of my head and just wish that wasn’t in my body. i’m just sad and feel bad :( wish i could take it back
You need to forgive yourself. If someone else had accidentally eaten something with animal body parts in it, you'd be kind and understanding. You need to treat yourself with the same kindness. For the first 14 years of your life, you still ate animals, and up until a year ago, you ate animal products. Now you don't. You've been doing your best to live up to your goal, and you'll continue to eat with awareness. Let go of the guilt and sadness. Forgive yourself and be proud of the goodness in your heart. Regret does nothing but make you sad. Use the experience to help you remember to read labels carefully. The gelatin has passed out of your body by now, and you're doing the best you can. Give yourself a big hug! You deserve it.

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
Please don't beat yourself up over this. It wasn't intentional, you did no harm. Perfection is not the goal.
What you can do instead? Write a letter about enforcing/creating laws to protect animals. Give a donation --whether monetary or voluntary, to an animal rescue.
Animals don't suffer from slip ups, and feeling guilty doesn't help them, so make yourself feel better and do them a solid!

·
Registered
47 Posts
It happens to all of us. Sometimes it's our screw-up, sometimes we get "meat poisoned" by a restaurant. We just have to laugh it off. Sometimes I say "first day vegan...again!"

I'm more concerned about you feeling "alone most of the time." It's super hard with the pandemic to find local outlets for socializing, but FB is full of vegan groups where you might try finding people who vibe with you. Follow vegan accounts on IG or TikTok. Find community online if you don't have friends and family IRL who support you. It's very important to feel like people are there for you and vegans are generally pretty warm and welcoming!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to forgive yourself. If someone else had accidentally eaten something with animal body parts in it, you'd be kind and understanding. You need to treat yourself with the same kindness. For the first 14 years of your life, you still ate animals, and up until a year ago, you ate animal products. Now you don't. You've been doing your best to live up to your goal, and you'll continue to eat with awareness. Let go of the guilt and sadness. Forgive yourself and be proud of the goodness in your heart. Regret does nothing but make you sad. Use the experience to help you remember to read labels carefully. The gelatin has passed out of your body by now, and you're doing the best you can. Give yourself a big hug! You deserve it.
thank you so much for your sweet message.. that was so kind and really helped me. i guess after eating animal products for 14 years of my life.. i just felt even more guilty when that happened. i want to make it up all those years.. for the animals because they deserve nothing but compassion. thank you again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please don't beat yourself up over this. It wasn't intentional, you did no harm. Perfection is not the goal.
What you can do instead? Write a letter about enforcing/creating laws to protect animals. Give a donation --whether monetary or voluntary, to an animal rescue.
Animals don't suffer from slip ups, and feeling guilty doesn't help them, so make yourself feel better and do them a solid!
those are wonderful ideas. thank you so much for replying to me. i know that i have to move on but it is hard when you care about animals so much. i will definitely be making a lot of donations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It happens to all of us. Sometimes it's our screw-up, sometimes we get "meat poisoned" by a restaurant. We just have to laugh it off. Sometimes I say "first day vegan...again!"

I'm more concerned about you feeling "alone most of the time." It's super hard with the pandemic to find local outlets for socializing, but FB is full of vegan groups where you might try finding people who vibe with you. Follow vegan accounts on IG or TikTok. Find community online if you don't have friends and family IRL who support you. It's very important to feel like people are there for you and vegans are generally pretty warm and welcoming!
thank you so much for getting replying to my message.. it means a lot. i need all of the support i can get haha. i definitely will be taking up your advice. it is so lonely feeling like you’re all by yourself in such a cruel world. but i know that i have to talk with a fellow community who understands. thank you again :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts