VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby the omni likes to get those Hot pocket things, now my 6 yo likes them too although she picks the meat out of it........they dont make one without meat, so i am wondering if any of you have seen a product like this in a healthier version........i have purchased an amy's one similar but she didn't like it.

i dont get to whole foods that often , its an hour away, and my local grocery only has the amy's, morningstar farms, and some ian's stuff..........

so just wondering if there are any other versions out there.

i suppose i could try to make my own too.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HEHE i am baking illiterate too, i need to follow explicit instructions.......lol

i am not far from a grocery, i am far from whole foods, which prob would have more variety of a healthy version of this type of product,

our local grocery only has the amy's and sometimes the ian's brand.

i don't even buy these for dh, he will grab them if he goes to the store with me, and we were at BJ's ( like costco ) last night and he grabbed them!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh thanks for that link!! we love the lightlife products too, but our local grocery doesn't carry those pocket things.........darn, well i think i am going to ask if they would order some.......they have a lot of other lightlife brand things so maybe they would.

thanks! i didn't even realize they had these type of things.

·
Registered
773 Posts
So, I couldn't find my phantom cheese and broccoli ones but they do make a just cheese and pizza sauce one.

HOT POCKETS® Brand Four Cheese Pizza

Provolone, mozzarella, cheddar and Romano cheeses with a zesty pizza sauce wrapped in a crispy crust

Probably not the healthiest thing ever but at least there isn't meat!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The kids are L/O......I am very minimal L/O ( mostly just in packaged foods if i eat them).......and pizza, which i cant seem to kick that habit....but anywho........i was thinking along the lines of a broccoli cheese type one, but i have never seen a Hot Pocket brand like that,

i will look for the cheese pizza one, they would like that.........

i know these arent the healthiest things, but if hubby at least had meatless ones, the kids would eat those too.......or if kids just eat the meatless ones thats fine, i always tell hubby he can do what he wants

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
If you're interested in making your own here is a recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._32305,00.html

I make some of those and filled them with a chicken pot pie filling. They were really good. You can even have your kid help you by spooning filling onto the pies before you seal them up.

When I made them I used soymilk and a combination of Spectrum shortening and Earth Balance shortening sticks (not the stuff in the tub!). I like the "buttery" flavor the EB gives to the crust.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Yeah, I used to eat the cheese and pizza sauce ones. There are the hotpocket 4 cheese ones, and there are other brands that are just as good. Pizzatas or something like that. Then there are bagel bites..and pizza rolls...etc etc.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh man yes the preservatives. I get more and more disenchanted with food every time I go to the grocery. We went last night and I just couldn't believe all the crap in simple food!! There was a bag of dry stuffing mix at the store that I was looking at last night. I was hoping I could add veggie broth and make it vegan. That was definitely wishful thinking on my part because it had milk in it. But then I noticed it had high fructose corn syrup!! Why is there HFCS in a bread crumb mix?!? I swear it is in almost everything.

Sorry about the rant.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
We have a couple of different kinds of hot pockets here in the UK...I first found them when I was l/o and nearly bought some kind of cheese one before reading the ingredients and realising it had chicken fat in it (?!) so, although it very possibly might be different in your various locations, just a reminder to read ingredients list on even harmless sounding foodstuffs!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've made my own using crescent roll dough, marinara and shredded cheese. I think of them as fake calzones
Again not the healthiest recipe, but good and pretty much impossible to screw up. I imagine you could put in whatever fillings you desire - cheese & broccoli, etc.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ursa i think the last time i checked a crescent roll package there was beef tallow or some type of lard in the ingredients.......yuck.......i think it was crescent rolls.

i will have to check the pizza dough ingredients, that would be a quick easy solution.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts