VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from vacation, and realized that I left a block of firm tofu and a block of extra firm tofu in my middle-aged parents' meat drawer.

I don't want to let them throw it away. They live a few states away from me, so I can't pick it up.

They hate tofu... but then they've never had "good" tofu.

What are some ideas/recipes I can suggest for my mother to use the tofu.

Mom does a lot of country-cooking. They are not really true "country folk," but I did have to shoo away more than a few opossums from the yard so I could walk my dogs.
My Mom's is always open to trying new things, but she's adamant that she hates tofu.

I'm really drawing a blank...

What would YOU suggest if you left a few blocks of tofu at a meat-eater's house by mistake?

·
Registered
470 Posts
not to be a downer, but i have middle aged parents that hate tofu also, and i just know that no matter what perfect recipe I gave them and even if they prepared it in the perfect way, their preconceived notions of tofu would influence their experience b4 they even tried it. my parents r just stubborn like that though.

·
Give peas a chance
1,713 Posts
What about this recipe for Tofu Cream and Berries? I really like one in The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook which is pretty similar to this, except it leaves out the lemon juice, has a little more maple syrup and calls for silken tofu. That was the first tofu-vegan thing I made for my omni mom and she was won over by it. The tofu is completely disguised. If a person didn't know it was an ingredient beforehand, I don't think they would know after tasting it. It tastes like a sweet heavy cream.

Veganomicon has an outstanding recipe for Thousand Island dressing that is based on soft tofu, but I think it is better with firm because it makes it thick like the steakhouse kind.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I suggest they drain and press it. Then chop it up into very small cubes. Then they can make a pot of soup up and in the last 10 minutes throw the tofu cubes in. They will just be little bits in their soup.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
to be honest i don't see them liking it. if you don't want it to be thrown out maybe it is possible to donate it to a food bank? i don't know if people there will appreciate it or know what to do with it

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Maybe just tell them to put it in the freezer for the next time you visit.
^This.

Chances are they won't bother trying to cook it if they don't like it and to rescue it from being thrown out, I would tell them to chuck it in the freezer until your next visit.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Maybe just tell them to put it in the freezer for the next time you visit.
this was my suggestion....that way it wont be wasted in any way.

hope your having a hippie day....peace

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys are so negative!

Thanks for the links. I forwarded some of the ideas from this thread to my Mom.
This week, she's going to try to make a chocolate mousse, vegan french toast, and she's going to press & fry some and add it to her famous country-fried rice. I can't wait to find out how this all goes!

FYI, I personally don't like frozen tofu anymore. I made a really bad batch of BBQ tofu from a frozen block, and have not been able to stomach the sponginess of it since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.