VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so last month my boyfriend and I bought 80 lbs worth of organic squash. It was a killer deal and we were trying to buy a lot of food at good prices to help keep us going through the winter.

So, needless to say we have been eating a lot of squash! I have a case of Spaghetti Squash and a case of Butternut Squash.

We have DONE soup and stirfry, baked with spices, baked with sauces. We have flipped through our cookbooks to see what else is in there... but really - how many ways can you cook a squash??

I need some inspiration! Any unique or just plain delicious ways of cooking butternut or spaghetti squash??

THANKS!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My mother is the only person I have ever known who can make summer squash taste this good. Often this time of year gardens are overflowing with zucchini and summer squash. This quick and easy recipe is a great way to use up some of the bounty. Note that summer squash varies in tenderness, sometimes you need to cook them a little longer, sometimes a little less.

Ingredients

2 lbs squash and/or zucchini, sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, sliced
2 smallish tomatoes or one large tomato, peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
1 clove of garlic, chopped
Olive oil
5 or 6 slices of cheese - jack or cheddar
Basil, either dry or chopped fresh
Salt and pepper

Method

1 Put onion, garlic, squash, bell pepper into a large saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Put on high heat and brown the vegetables slightly to develop flavor. As you are browning, sprinkle either dried basil or chopped fresh basil on the vegetables. When vegetables are slightly browned, remove from heat, add the slices of cheese, and cover the pan.

2 In a separate stick-free fry pan, put the tomatoes and cook at medium hi heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to let the juice from the tomatoes evaporate some. After 5 minutes, add the tomatoes to the rest of the vegetables and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!! This looks awesome!

I love the idea of using it as a pasta sauce or in a dessert recipe.

Great ideas!!

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Both spaghetti squash and butternut squash are my favorites.
. Spaghetti squash I like to cook up like pasta and toss the stands with olive oil, onions, garlic, chopped tomatoes, spinach, olives, or whatever I'd normally do on pasta, and serve yummy garlic bread on the side.

I think I could eat butternut squash soup every day for a year, but I probably would at some point get sick of it
. I hope you enjoy all that healthy squash!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have used pureed and seasoned butternut squash as pizza sauce before, instead of tomato. The same puree can also be layered in a winter vegetable lasagne. A hearty chili is another great option that freezes well. Have you considered putting some frozen butternut squash in your freezer to preserve for the off-season?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Butternut squash is considered a pumpkin and used any way you would use a regular pumpkin here in Australia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts