VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear vegan; vegetarian family,
my name is Jana, I am a vegan girl, 18 years old (but in 4 days is my birthday
) and I live in Germany. This summer 2012 I will pass my A-Level. Afterwards I would like to work as an Au Pair in the UK
However, it is not that easy to find a vegan or vegetarian family with a similar lifestyle, and therefore I hope to find my perfect family by posting this thread.
Maybe you are the family I am seeking for? ^^
If you are interested and could give me the chance to do my au pair job and of course becoming part of your family, please contact me. I am looking forward to hear from you!

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Kind Regards from Germany and of course a wonderful Christmas time!!

Jana

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Hi Jana,

I've worked as a nanny for several years in the UK (I'm on maternity leave now), but for an omni family. If cooking/preparing meat is your main concern, you might be able to find a family that doesn't mind you eating veg with the kids while you're on duty. This was the case with the family I worked for. We had just a couple of non-vegan bits if I were there while she was still eating breakfast in the morning (honey on her toast and an occasional glass of milk), but during the day/evenings, we ate vegan, and the girls were fine. If you sign up with an agency, most all of the good ones in the UK ask whether you are veg and if you'd be willing to cook meat, etc. It would limit your choices, but you'd definitely not get into an uncomfortable situation.

Do you know where you want to be in the UK, or does it not matter? You could try advertising yourself on Nannyjob.co.uk, mentioning that you are veg. Gumtree is a good place to advertise as well, but it's organized by location.

What sort of experience do you have working with children? There are loads of childcare jobs here in Oxford. My (vegan) husband and I aren't looking for an au pair, but if you end up in the area, maybe you can babysit for us!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would just add, that if you stay with an omnivore family, you can influence them to eat more vegan food while you are with them and save a lot of animal lives in the process.

And who knows? Maybe your influence will even stick after you leave!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts