VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a lacto-ovo but recently I've been trying to make the switch over to a vegan lifestyle, sadly without much success. I've actually attempted several times to make the switch for the past year or so, but it's been really difficult and I cave in and eat cheese or something usually after only about three days at the most. Sad I know. Although I haven't drunk milk for over a year, I always have Rice Dream over my cereal in the morning now, which is way nicer.

So I've decided that the best way to do this for me is to take it one little baby step at a time and I think that eggs would be the easiest thing to eliminate from my diet first. I don't eat a lot of eggs straight out, I'll eat them occasionly but that's only because I don't like them very much anyways, however I have no clue what to do about mock meats and substitutes for eggs in cooking.

I don't eat mock meats much neither. I'll eat them about once a month, if that, and although I don't really need them, I do enjoy them for conveneince occasionly when I can't be bothered to cook. I eat Quorn or Asda's own brand, both of which contain eggs. I've looked everywhere for ones that don't contain eggs but can't find any! I live in the UK...do you know of any good egg-free mock meats that are available in the UK? I would prefer ones that I can buy in the supermarket rather than having to order online.

I've recently been baking cookies, cakes etc rather than just buying them, but they all seem to contain eggs. I don't want to give up baking my cookies but I want to find a decent egg substitute or replacement for eggs (what are they called exactly?) which will keep my cookies and cakes still tasting yummy!
Any suggestions on ones in the UK? Again I would prefer ones I can just go out and buy rather than ordering online.

Also, how on earth do I tell my parents that I've stopped eating eggs? They're fine with me being vegeterian but my mum can't understand why anyone would want to give up animal byproducts, she thinks it's going a bit too far and vegans apparently don't eat anything. Of course I know that's a load of rubbish and I wish she, along with my dad, would be a bit more open minded about it, but I'm still sensing they'll flip even if I do just give up eggs...

Sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum, but I figured I'd get more help here.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Good luck with your move towards veganism. I know it can be hard, but it's so worth it.

You might want to check out the weaning off eggs thread if you haven't already. It has a lot of advice and good tips and is a good place to vent, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercress View Post

I always have Rice Dream over my cereal in the morning now, which is way nicer.
rice dream

Quote:
I don't eat mock meats much neither. I'll eat them about once a month, if that, and although I don't really need them, I do enjoy them for conveneince occasionly when I can't be bothered to cook. I eat Quorn or Asda's own brand, both of which contain eggs. I've looked everywhere for ones that don't contain eggs but can't find any! I live in the UK...do you know of any good egg-free mock meats that are available in the UK? I would prefer ones that I can buy in the supermarket rather than having to order online.
do you have a Holland and Barratts near you? Or another health food shop? If you have a dig around in the freezer section of H&B you will find some vegan faux meats including burgers and sausages.

Available in supermarkets though - Tesco sell three kinds of mince (two frozen, one TVP) and TVP chunks that are vegan. Linda McCartney sausages & pies (not sure if that's stretching the definition of 'mock meats' or not) are vegan and available in most supermarkets.

Quote:
I've recently been baking cookies, cakes etc rather than just buying them, but they all seem to contain eggs. I don't want to give up baking my cookies but I want to find a decent egg substitute or replacement for eggs (what are they called exactly?) which will keep my cookies and cakes still tasting yummy!
Any suggestions on ones in the UK? Again I would prefer ones I can just go out and buy rather than ordering online.
once again...H&B is a good bet if you don't have another HFS near you. They sell egg replacer for use in baking. Also, check out the vegan recipes on VB. Many of them don't need speciality 'egg replacer' but may use other things such as bicarb of soda to help them rise.

Quote:
Also, how on earth do I tell my parents that I've stopped eating eggs? They're fine with me being vegeterian but my mum can't understand why anyone would want to give up animal byproducts, she thinks it's going a bit too far and vegans apparently don't eat anything. Of course I know that's a load of rubbish and I wish she, along with my dad, would be a bit more open minded about it, but I'm still sensing they'll flip even if I do just give up eggs...

Sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum, but I figured I'd get more help here.
how old are you? Do you still live with your parents? Do you mostly cook for youself? I think people could help you with this last point better if they had a better understanding of your situation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I recently got some of this egg substitute, Ener-G Egg Replacer, and it's pretty good for use in baking and such. I made some yummalicious peanut butter cookies with it. I've also heard of using mashed bananas in cooking in place of eggs. Here's a link where I've found some interesting vegan recipes:

http://vegweb.com/

I live in the US, so I'm not sure whether or not we have the same brands of mock meats, so I can't help you there.

As for the telling your parents, that's always rough. Stress how important this is to you, and hopefully they'll understand. It can be hard if your parent makes meals for the whole family that aren't vegan, so offer recipes for vegan options of normal meals, or even try your hand at making some yourself. What better way to convince them than making a yummy dinner to prove your food can be good?

I'm not sure if any of that helped, but good luck and congrats on taking this step!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Good luck with your move towards veganism. I know it can be hard, but it's so worth it.

You might want to check out the weaning off eggs thread if you haven't already. It has a lot of advice and good tips and is a good place to vent, etc.
Thanks, I didn't see that before, I'll check it out.

Quote:
do you have a Holland and Barratts near you? Or another health food shop? If you have a dig around in the freezer section of H&B you will find some vegan faux meats including burgers and sausages.

Available in supermarkets though - Tesco sell three kinds of mince (two frozen, one TVP) and TVP chunks that are vegan. Linda McCartney sausages & pies (not sure if that's stretching the definition of 'mock meats' or not) are vegan and available in most supermarkets.
Yes I do, I actually used to go to H&B all the time for my Rice Dream, but then my local supermarket started selling it and since that's closer, it made more sense to buy from there. I haven't been to H&B for over half a year now but I will check it out next time I'm in town. Are most H&B's big? The one near me is really small, I don't even think it's got a freezer compartment
. I used to love Linda McCartney stuff too but then everwhere near me stopped selling it for some reason
I'm going to look in Tesco over the weekend though, to see what I can dig up.

Quote:
once again...H&B is a good bet if you don't have another HFS near you. They sell egg replacer for use in baking. Also, check out the vegan recipes on VB. Many of them don't need speciality 'egg replacer' but may use other things such as bicarb of soda to help them rise.
I'm defiantly going to H&B again this weekend.

This may be a stupid question but when you use eggs in baking, is it merely to add flavour or just to help it rise? OK that was a really stupid question

Quote:
how old are you? Do you still live with your parents? Do you mostly cook for youself? I think people could help you with this last point better if they had a better understanding of your situation.
I still live with my parents, I'm 15 turning 16 next month and yes I do mostly cook for myself, sometimes even for my parents too in fact, well at least my dad

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercress View Post

Thanks, I didn't see that before, I'll check it out.

Yes I do, I actually used to go to H&B all the time for my Rice Dream, but then my local supermarket started selling it and since that's closer, it made more sense to buy from there. I haven't been to H&B for over half a year now but I will check it out next time I'm in town. Are most H&B's big? The one near me is really small, I don't even think it's got a freezer compartment
. I used to love Linda McCartney stuff too but then everwhere near me stopped selling it for some reason
I'm going to look in Tesco over the weekend though, to see what I can dig up.

I'm defiantly going to H&B again this weekend.

This may be a stupid question but when you use eggs in baking, is it merely to add flavour or just to help it rise? OK that was a really stupid question

I still live with my parents, I'm 15 turning 16 next month and yes I do mostly cook for myself, sometimes even for my parents too in fact, well at least my dad
both the H&Bs near me are pretty small but they both have a small freezer at the back.

I forgot to mention that you can buy sosmix and burgamix in dried form in a lot of supermarkets...probably near couscous/beanfeast/quinoa type of area if you know where that is.

I'm no baking expert but I'm pretty sure eggs are normally just for rising/binding/consistency.

my dad reacted badly when I first brought up wanting to go vegan (I was 16). I'm ashamed to say I then was too worried about what he thought to make the change for over a year (!) I hope you're not as put off. When I just TOLD him though instead of ASKING him and he realised I was serious though, he accepted it. It might take a while for them to come round, but the more serious/confident/knowledgeable you seem, the more they will realise it is important to you.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychochick3339 View Post

I recently got some of this egg substitute, Ener-G Egg Replacer, and it's pretty good for use in baking and such.
Ener-G works great for almost anything you bake. The only time I didn't have success with it was when I tried to make boxed vegan brownies with it. Well, the mix was vegan but adding the eggs wouldn't have been. But I've used it for years and it works in everything else.

Except probably omelettes.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Re: baking - eggs are used to bind, they're not supposed to add any particular taste. I'm not a huge fan of Ener-G but it works in a pinch. If you buy a cookbook like How it All Vegan or Vegan with a Vengeance, you'll find that most of their baked recipes don't use any kind of egg replacer at all. I've made tons of cookies, brownies, muffins etc. with no eggs (obviously), no banana, no Ener-G, no flaxseed, nothin'. I don't think eggs are nearly as necessary as people make them out to be (except maybe in things like cakes? I'm not a huge expert).

FWIW, I had a much harder time giving up eggs than giving up cheese - I used to love a fried cruelty pod in the morning.
But now that I've discovered scrambled tofu I'm good to go. Invest in a good vegan cookbook and you will never miss eggs again.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Ener-G works well in cakes too. You make a good point, you can bake without any "egg replacer." But I already had certain recipes imprinted on my brain from my pre-vegan days, so I liked Ener-G because the only change I had to make was using it instead of eggs. Most recipes I used were mostly vegan except for the eggs.

Buying a cookbook and learning new recipes was too much work for someone as lazy as me.

I would, however, like your recipe for vegan brownies if you don't mind. And scrambled tofu. I used to love Fantastic Foods' tofu scrambler, but they quit making it. Again, I'm too lazy to try different seasonings myself trying to make it. But if someone already has a recipe they like . . .

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Ok, I made these brownies last night and they're amazing. Gooey and chocolatey and just a bit mapley. (Recipe from How it All Vegan)

1 1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 cup apple juice or water

1/3 cup oil

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Sift together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and walnuts. Spoon into an oiled cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. That's it!

As for tofu scramble, I don't use a recipe...I just saute a glove of minced garlic for a minute, then add whatever veggies I have lying around (mushrooms, broccoli, potato, bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes) and sautee. Meanwhile I mush up 1/6 cube of tofu with my hands and sprinkle it with spices (I use maybe 1/4 tsp each of garlic powder and chili powder, and about 1 tbsp nutritional yeast). Then I add the tofu to the pan with a few splashes of Braggs and/or vegan Worcestshire sauce. And then I eat it with toast. Mmm. It's pretty much impossible to screw up tofu scramble.

You should definitely check out www.vegweb.com for recipes, if you don't want to buy a cookbook. You can find a recipe for ANYTHING there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts