VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive only recently become a vegetarian and i use to only have meats at dinner time with some vegetables, is their anything in specific i should replace the meat with or should i just eat more vegetables to keep myself full?<br><br>
thanks, zac.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just eat what sounds good to you, provided it's healthy. Invest in some veg*n cookbooks. Check some out from your library so you can try before you buy. Also check out vegweb.com and theppk.com for recipes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would replace the meat with whole grains and/or some sort of protein source like beans. You need to make sure that you are getting a balanced diet with fat, protein and minimally processed carbs. For me, being a healthy vegetarian/stb vegan, involves a lot of label reading. I found out how much protein I needed and built my meals from there. If you don't have a really well-balanced diet, you are going to feel bad and you will want to quit.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I love veggies, but I have a hard time eating enough of them to stay full for very long. Protein helps me feel full for longer. There are lots of veggie protein options -- beans are great, as well as tofu, tempeh, or seitan. It is definitely helpful to have some recipes for those, so I'd recommend searching the internet for recipes that appeal to you and checking out some veggie cookbooks from the library.<br><br>
If you're a little intimidated by preparing some of the aforementioned veggie proteins from scratch, meat substitutes can be really convenient and tasty. Are you in the US? If so, some good ones to try are Boca ground beef crumbles (use in place of ground beef in spaghetti sauce, chili, etc), Gardein beefless tips (anywhere you would have chunks of beef), and Morningstar Farms meal starters chicken strips (in fajitas, with pasta, etc). There are lots of others too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts