VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sick for a while and haven't been eating much. My nails became brittle and stopped growing and my hair started to become brittle and fall out, among other things. I need some ideas for high protein sources but I have some restrictions. I have endometriosis, so a lot of protein sources cause it to flare up. I can't eat soy, I can't eat a lot of grains and too many beans cause issues. I need about 40 grams a day and I struggle to even get half of that. Does anyone have any suggestions for protein that also isn't high in calories/fat? Nuts are great in small portions, but it would be impossible for me to eat a lot of them without gaining weight or causing my gallbladder to spasm.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
How about some seitan? I also really like gardein scallopini cutlets for easy to make/digest small portion high protein food.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Do you eat dairy? If so, lowfat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt.

If you eat eggs, than eggwhites might be good too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am incorporating more greens into my diet but I don't think I have the stomach capacity to get the majority of my protein from them. I have a giant bag of quinoa in my cabinet, I'll have to look up some recipes to cook it with. As for seitan, I'm really not supposed to eat gluten at all so I have to be careful about how much I eat unless I want to be bent over in pain. I guess I could supplement with protein powder, but they seem to get expensive very fast.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
If you can't eat soy, legumes, gluten, nuts, or high volumes of food -- it may be egg whites and cottage cheese for you as dormouse suggested.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
re: same line of thinking.....the symptoms you experienced could be from not enough calories, which would result in not enough protein. if you aren't enough calories and not enough fruits and veggies, you probably aren't getting adequate vitamins and minerals, unfortunately, as well.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quinoa
Vega or other soy-free, gluten-free vegan protein powders
Peas and other nonbean legumes
Can you do oats and amaranth? Oatmeal, cereal, granola...

With all your restrictions it may be worthwhile finding a vegan dietician to help you plan a healthy diet. Don't settle for a nutritionist or someone whose not vegan, find an expert!

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
Sort your diet, for sure. But you may also want to look at ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). It helps the body efficiently construct tissues and helps the immune system too, when my dad had the same symptoms of brittle non-growing nails and brittle hair ashwagandha got healthy hair and nails to start actively growing in.
It was wild, after a month I could see the line on his fingernails where the new healthy nails had started.
These days most american supplement stores carry it, make sure its standardized for withanolides.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Lentils are good, too, if you can digest them ok. I agree with above posters that adding as many leafy greens as you can is a great idea (for anyone!).

But I really think the comment about seeing a dietician is a good suggestion, and particularly one who is either vegan or very good with vegan diets. Those are a fair amount of restrictions for someone on a cooked food, vegan diet, so consulting with a professional would probably be beneficial.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Have you been for a general health check? It might not be lack of protein that's causing these troubles. Also, beans are generally a *recommended* food for endo sufferers. Do you mean that they cause problems with gas/tummy, or with the endometriosis. Dairy, sugar, soya and wheat are generally considered particularly inflammatory foods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts