VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quitting my job as a waitress and in a few months, will be looking for a part time job with flexible hours where the money is good (I know everyone wants that kind of job). I was thinking about waitressing again, but at a different restaurant. The restaurant I'm at now is awful... it's nothing but high school drama... and no one likes me (I have little to nothing to do with this, very long story, I'll save you the details).

So back to what I was saying... any suggestions other than waitressing? I was thinking about working at a pet store or grocery store, but both don't pay well (I'm used to getting good tips). The only reason I've stayed at my work for so long (almost 3 years) is because of the money.

Please offer any suggestions! Thanks.

PS: If there was a Whole Foods Market around, I'd KILL to work there... but there isn't.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Unless you have some skills and/or connections (preferably both), you're more than likely looking at something close to minimum wage. Although there will always be drama and your boss can fire you just because s/he feels like it, I still think that waiting tables is the best way for a youngish person to make some cash.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
if you're willing to work weird hours those jobs usually pay well. I make 95 a night when I bake, but I usually get off at 4-5 in the morning. It works out to $12-$13 an hour depending on how long it takes me, and I like it MUCH more than waiting tables. Sometimes if you sign up with a temp agency you can get a permanent job you wouldn't usually be qualified for if you do well filling the temp position, plus temp employees usually get paid pretty well since there are no benefits, etc.

If there is a Costco around you, they are a great place to work they start cashiers at (I believe) $10 + an hour plus benefits.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerks View Post

Unless you have some skills and/or connections (preferably both), you're more than likely looking at something close to minimum wage. Although there will always be drama and your boss can fire you just because s/he feels like it, I still think that waiting tables is the best way for a youngish person to make some cash.
I know that there are only a few jobs that offer something other than minimum wage: waitressing (tips) and working at In-N-Out Burger. As much as I loved INO, I don't want to cook cows again.

I was thinking about applying at this local place called Creolas... I know someone who used to work there. The dishes are expensive, so the tips are probably really good too. I'll probably also apply at Duane's, an upscale restaurant in the Mission Inn.

I'm hoping my boyfriend gets accepted into the Navy as an officer (he finds out next month) so I can quit these crummy jobs and work hard towards getting a career.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

if you're willing to work weird hours those jobs usually pay well. I make 95 a night when I bake, but I usually get off at 4-5 in the morning. It works out to $12-$13 an hour depending on how long it takes me, and I like it MUCH more than waiting tables. Sometimes if you sign up with a temp agency you can get a permanent job you wouldn't usually be qualified for if you do well filling the temp position, plus temp employees usually get paid pretty well since there are no benefits, etc.

If there is a Costco around you, they are a great place to work they start cashiers at (I believe) $10 + an hour plus benefits.
I can't be too flexible with my hours because I'm a full time student too. I'm hoping to find a job where I can work 2-3 days a week. Do temp places hire people who can only work a few days?

I do live by a Costco. I'll have to check into that. I might just end up becoming a waitress again. Some days, I averaged $35 an hour because of tips.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you are a student I would definitely check with the career center...most jobs cater to students schedules. I found my job there and I get paid enough to only work 3 days a week.

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

If you are a student I would definitely check with the career center...most jobs cater to students schedules. I found my job there and I get paid enough to only work 3 days a week.
yes or try to find a job on campus!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
If you are sick of waitressing, but want to still get tips, you could learn to bartend if you're of legal age. At the dinner theatre I manage, the bartender gets about $300 a night, for about 6 hours work. $50 an hour. Way more than I make, and I have to run two departments and work 50-60 hours a week.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

That's a great idea... I've considered it, but figured they pay only minimum wage. I'll have to look into it. My sister told me to consider trying to get a job at this place called Cirtus City Grille. It's a little upscale and I've heard they make very good money in tips and are flexible. If I can't get that job, I'll look into getting one at my school. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

If you are sick of waitressing, but want to still get tips, you could learn to bartend if you're of legal age. At the dinner theatre I manage, the bartender gets about $300 a night, for about 6 hours work. $50 an hour. Way more than I make, and I have to run two departments and work 50-60 hours a week.
Oh trust me, I've considered it
Thing is... I don't have a clue about alcohol. I know you're taught in bartending school, but since I don't drink, it would be a little odd. I'm looking into it right now. I've been told you have to be at least 18 to take the classes, but 21 to have the job. I'll be 21 next month. A girl in one of my classes once told me she made as much as $600 a NIGHT sometimes. Now I'm excited about this... I'm going to consider it
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Thats true bartenders make a TON of money, I know someone who works 3 days a week and makes $6000 a month.
Dang!!!! Someone I knew in one of my college classes said she can make as much as $600 a night! That's insane. The most I make at my job now (the one i'm quitting) is $180 for 8 hours (that's what I take home, after tipping out 25%). That's rare too. I usually take home about $100 a day.

The only problem... my boyfriend. His father was an alcoholic, so he hates alcohol. I don't think he'll go for it. If I tell him I'll be working at a restaurant, then it shouldn't be a problem. We'll see... I'll let you know what he says.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The reason I don't do it is that in my state if you serve someone too much, serve a minor, etc. you're legally liable for everything they do. If someone has 5 drinks somewhere else, and I serve them one drink and then they go out and drive drunk and kill someone I go to jail just as if I had gotten into a car drunk and killed someone. Laws vary by state and most aren't that bad so I would check before I got the job.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In answer to the question: Do temp places hire people who can only work a few days?

Yes -- most temp places can support 2 or 3 day per week. You're more likely to get the low end of pay though (around $11/hour assuming some clerical skills). Some temp agencies also offer training so that you can get the skills (for free) that their clients want. And most offer minimal benefits now, if you're interested in that. I looked seriously at temping full time when I was having trouble with my health - that's why I know these answers.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

The reason I don't do it is that in my state if you serve someone too much, serve a minor, etc. you're legally liable for everything they do. If someone has 5 drinks somewhere else, and I serve them one drink and then they go out and drive drunk and kill someone I go to jail just as if I had gotten into a car drunk and killed someone. Laws vary by state and most aren't that bad so I would check before I got the job.
That's absolutely ridiculous! I'm definately going to check that out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:

Thats true bartenders make a TON of money, I know someone who works 3 days a week and makes $6000 a month.
$72k a year?! Holy. Even when that works out as £36k a year, it's still a helluva lot for bartending. My starting salary after finishing my degree isn't anywhere near that. ^^;;

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Delano, isn't that CRAZY? As a waitress, I make pretty good money, especially considering how many hours I work. I e-mailed a bartending school yesterday and am waiting to hear back from them

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post

$72k a year?! Holy. Even when that works out as £36k a year, it's still a helluva lot for bartending. My starting salary after finishing my degree isn't anywhere near that. ^^;;
I know lots of people who got laid off, etc. from real jobs and started bartending on a temporary basis only to find out that they make twice as much as they used to and like the hours, environment, and what not better.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a friend who is a single mom and bartends - she just recently got herself a pair of new boobies. So, I figure she's making good money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.