VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup compatriots? I need to write a little research paper and have elected to do something along the lines government involvement in agriculture.

For example, how subsidies may have a deleterious effect on the United States and the world by. As I understand it, corn subsidies hurt third world farmers by unfair competition, that subsidies greatly benefit factory farming by providing a cheap product to bulk up and fatten animals for slaughter, and that subsidies actually hurt farmers in the US. Related to this issue are the corporations that benefit from ag-welfare.

Also, how the government kowtows to Big Dairy and Big Meat (
sorry, I couldn't help myself) and institutes food pyramids that include unnecessary groups such as, well, dairy and meat. (The latest example, the food plate, includes a portion for "Protein", which could be anything but should be understood to be meat.)

Perhaps the final point I want to look into is the process of patenting genetic codes and material by the likes of Monsanto and others, and what this is doing to farmers whose crops are contaminated with genetically patented seed. Somewhat related to this is the revolving door, funneling corporate heads into regulatory posts and back into corporations. You know, how the bureaucracy is bought and sold.

Anyway, any books you wonderful guys and gals might recommend? Love you long time!

·
Registered
331 Posts

Don't know if this helps. The above video is Dr. Campbell of Cornell University. In this talk he says that the WHO and FDA are major league influenced by the big meat and sugar producing corporations. And he says that the WHO (World Health Organization) publishes information known to be unhealthy because they (meat and sugar producers) make huge money selling crap (basically). He conducted a couple of big studies at Cornell including "The China Study". It's worth a look.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is this a research or an opinion paper? It sounds like an opinion paper. If it is supposed to be a research paper, make sure to touch on both sides of the "story" (as much as you might hate to
).

Also, what is the length supposed to be? You're touching on a number of topics. It may be better to narrow it down (thus getting much more in depth) to a single topic.

Google Scholar is a great place to start a search for references!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts