VeggieBoards banner

Need help with what to cook tomorrow for my aunt!!!

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  meatless 
#1 ·
Please someone help me here. I went through the recipes and couldn't find anything that was right. I'm going spend some time with my aunt and cousin tomorrow and I want to make something that just surprises the heck outta them because it's so good and they'd never dream that it's something I'd eat. Like they're CERTAIN all I eat are salads and broccolie or something.

So can anyone give me some good ideas for a vegan dish I can cook for them tomorrow? I don't want it to be something stereotypical so something that includes TVP or some imitation "meat" would be good.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
You WANT the recipe to have TVP or imitation meat? Usually these items tend to 'scare' non-vegetarians, heck, there's some vegetarians who won't try them...

Are you cooking vegan or vegetarian? I'd recommend a good pasta dish, like with portabella mushrooms or something.

Slices of polenta, fried until crispy and topped with BBQ tofu is REALLY yummy and all my omni relatives love it. (The recipe is in the recipe section - I'll look for it in a minute).

Vegetable lasagna is good. Spaghetti and 'non-meat' balls. Enchiladas. A good creamy curry over rice. Pad Thai.

I could recommend a million recipes but don't know what you have to work with for time, ingredients, budget, taste preferences, etc...

If you WANT to use TVP, make tacos or sloppy joes with it, that usually 'fools' people or it's close enough that they don't mind.

#3 ·
Vegan...

And I just want it to be something more than a salad or steamed vegetables because that's all they think I eat. I was thinking some lasagna would be good. Of course that would need TVP or Smart Choice ground beef AND soy cheese which I dunno.. It's so good to me but I forget not everyone likes this stuff.. Hmmmm.

I like your suggestions though. Will have to find the recipe for the polenta. And money is no object
It only needs to feed 3 people though

#4 ·
Bryanna clark grogan has some good recipes - I think including one for lasagna. It doesn't "need' TVP if you have lots of good veggies in it. You can google for her recipes.

Soy cheese is definitely an 'aquired' taste I think - might be a hard sell for omnis, I dunno.

There's a TON of really good main dish recipes in the recipe section - check them out.

Here's the link for the polenta: http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=40666 it's quite tasty...

#5 ·
If you want to do cheese, maybe make a nutritional yeast sauce and pour that on instead? I've definately had more luck with that than with prepackaged soy-cheese.

I say lasagne is a good idea. Especially if it has zucchini in it...
And I agree, lasagne doesn't need any kind of 'meat' if the veggies are abundant! If you can get non e-coli spinich (I don't know where you are) that's great too...

#9 ·
Well bad news
They didn't like any of it
Not even the Apple Carrot Muffins which I thought were sooooo good

Everything came out right, but they said it was tasteless. I tasted everything fine and it all tasted great but they were dissapointed to say the least. I don't think they were really trying though
They were just picking at it and saying "How long have you been eating stuff like this? How bout next time we just steam some broccoli" *sighs*

Here are some pics I took of it...

#10 ·
Awwww.... Your food looks really good. I'm seriously suprised they didn't at LEAST like the BBQ sauced tofu. I have never had anyone not like that... That's terrible!

Do remember that omnis will probably have a need for more salt and spices at first, since they almost always seem to over-season their food and really haven't "tasted" vegetables much in my experience, especially experiencing how nice and simple many vegetables can be prepared...

I find it frustrating that I have better luck "impressing" omnis when I make things (especially the vegetables) that are very well (maybe almost overly) seasoned...

#13 ·
It's possible that the food was delicious, it was just too "different". They likely came in expecting it to be weird food and lo' BBQ tofu, something they've likely never had. Tofu can be a bit of a stretch when people aren't used to eating it. When feeding picky omnis, your best bet is to stick with really familiar foods. Pasta dishes are non-threatening and can be very tasty.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post

Well bad news
They didn't like any of it
Not even the Apple Carrot Muffins which I thought were sooooo good

Everything came out right, but they said it was tasteless. I tasted everything fine and it all tasted great but they were dissapointed to say the least. I don't think they were really trying though
They were just picking at it and saying "How long have you been eating stuff like this? How bout next time we just steam some broccoli" *sighs*

Here are some pics I took of it...

Awww.. that'ts mean. It sounds almost as if they were determined to hate it, no matter what you served. Generally even if you dislike something you eat at someone else's place, as a guest, you never ever say so. The fact that they actually mentioned they disliked it twigs me to the fact they'd have declared dislike no matter what it tasted like, on priciple.

Another tip next time you really want to impress someone with your cooking... cook something you've cooked dozens of times before. Something you know is sensational. If you want to cook something new and innovative, fine, but cook it for yourself first. I ply my friends with experimental food all the time, but for the times I really want to impress I turn to the old standbys that I know from experience no-one can pass up.

#16 ·
Next time try this recipe. I get requests for it from all my omni friends constantly:

Beef Potstickers Makes 16 (346 calories for 8)

2 cups ground soy beef

1 ts onion powder

2 ts minced garlic

2 ts soy sauce

1 ts ginger

½ ts sugar

¼ ts white pepper

16 wonton wrappers

1 tb vegetable oil

Microwave the soy beef in a medium sized bowl, about 4 minutes, and combine everything but the oil and the wonton wrappers. Stir well.

Lay a wonton wrapper on a work surface and put about 1 tb of filling in the center. Dip your finger in a little water and wet the edges of the wrapper, this will help seal the edges like glue. Bring the corners of the wonton together in the center, and pinch the edges together to form a pouch. Continue until all the potstickers have been made.

Use a large skillet that has a cover. Heat the oil in the skillet over medium high heat until the oil is very hot. Place all the potstickers in the pan and cook, without touching them until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Poor ½ cup of water in the pan and immediately cover. Leave the potstickers to steal for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking until the water is evaporated. Serve warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.