VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So, I am elated to tell y'all that my sister (happily aggressive omni) has a speech she is doing for speech class and it has to be health related and she has decided to do it over the benefits of being vegan.
So, of course, she has come to me for advice and also interesting ideas to incorporate into the speech.

I've already suggested a few things like maybe we could pull some clips from Earthlings and also refer to the vegan bible(The China Study). But I also knew that my handy dandy veg boards pals are VERY creative and thoughtful so I was wondering what do you think would be good things to include in this speech? It's the perfect platform to turn a meat eater
lol

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Health issues are the weakest point to argue veg*ism from, I think.

Not my strongest area of expertise either, by quite a long way.

Not being helpfull. Sorry Kaylaxmae.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey Kaylaxmae!

When people ask me for help with persuasive essays or speeches, my first bit of advice is to be very careful with the kinds of source material you choose. We VBers are very partial to pro-veg literature and films, but in an academic setting, it's best to be as objective as possible in terms of the source material used. That said, even though Earthlings is a very one-sided film, you just can't argue with the video footage. And I really don't think it's possible to take any of what we see in Earthlings out of context. I'd use your best judgment with that one.

Like Clueless said, it's hard to convince people with health-related evidence. Even though plant foods promote good health and animal foods easily lead to health problems, one can easily lead a healthy life with a balanced (keyword = balanced) omnivorous diet -- mostly whole, plant-based foods with some low-fat animal foods and minimal added sugars and oils.

What veganism really boils down to is ethics. It's not just about what you eat -- it's about how you live. So if I were doing a speech on the benefits of veganism, my very first point would be the ethical soundness of the lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
If she's going to show a video as part of the speech then she should show the condensed version of Farm To Fridge. It's only four minutes long and it touches on a wide variety of abuses. It's very persuasive.

She should get some pamphlets to hand out as a take away for the students.

As for the speech, she should focus on one issue. I suggest animal cruelty.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Animal cruelty, ethics and environment are strong points to argue veg*ism from.

I think that is why Kayla said it has to be health related.

My experience is that meat eating teachers will actively block any debate on veg*ism that might actualy put anyone off of their 'food'.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
yeah, my lit professor told me to never write an essay that might put the teacher off or write about something that there is a high chance he/she might disagree with.
BUT, you know lower obesity rates blahblahblah cheese, milk=fat.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

yeah, my lit professor told me to never write an essay that might put the teacher off or write about something that there is a high chance he/she might disagree with.
BUT, you know lower obesity rates blahblahblah cheese, milk=fat.
Seriously? I would think it would imperative to teach students to argue effectively, not discourage controversy. When I was in college a thorough, well-researched and well-written paper was much more important than the actual subject matter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, I think I missed that it has to be health-related. You can indeed argue that a plant-based diet is healthier because, scientifically, it is -- plants promote health, while animal-based foods don't (saturated fat, cholesterol). But like I mentioned previously, you can be healthy as an omnivore, too. Consuming low-fat animal products, watching your cholesterol, exercising, etc. Good health isn't the strongest argument for veganism, but you can still make it.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Animal cruelty, ethics and environment are strong points to argue veg*ism from.

I think that is why Kayla said it has to be health related.

My experience is that meat eating teachers will actively block any debate on veg*ism that might actualy put anyone off of their 'food'.
If that was the case, I wouldn't consider this speech worth my time or effort. As others have said, the health argument is really the weakest reason to give for veg*nism. There are several varieties of omni diets that rival or sometime surpass some varieties of veg*n diet in overall health benefits. Mediterranean and Okinawan diets come to mind. The best argument you could out forward is how well planned, researched plant based diets can be very healthy. Anything else is hyperbole.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Seriously? I would think it would imperative to teach students to argue effectively, not discourage controversy. When I was in college a thorough, well-researched and well-written paper was much more important than the actual subject matter.
Indeed. It is much more valuable to get a good essay than an agreeable one.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If the assignment is that it has to be health-related, how about using information from the documentary Forks Over Knives, fleshed out with quotes from the writings of T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn and Dean Ornish? CNN is still running its health episode "The Last Heart Attack" on the CNN website, which is only an hour long and covers a lot of what appears in Forks Over Knives. If you've got NetFlix, you can see Forks Over Knives instantly for free, and all three health professionals appear in both and have a lot of material on their own websites. These three men are collectively responsible for a huge number of cardiac patients and cancer patients changing to a whole foods-based vegan diet for purely health reasons.

http://sanjayguptamd.blogs.cnn.com/2...-heart-attack/

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhugger View Post

Indeed. It is much more valuable to get a good essay than an agreeable one.
yep thats what she said!
That was back in lit 101 so who knows and a lot of teachers at my school are asses

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So much information for me to sift through
Thank you everyone
I will happily forward these suggestions and any to follow to my sister

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maybe she could try to debunk myths about vegan health. She could explain where vegans get their protein and calcium, and explain that B-12 is the only nutrient you can't get from plant sources, but that it can be obtained from supplements. I think debunking the nutritional myths is very important to any discussion on vegan health.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts