VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some friends coming over in a week, and at least one of them is a vegetarian. I want to make chili, and I do use hamburger as an ingredient. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I could use instead for a veggie batch? I was considering portabella mushrooms, but I would rather make something that I would be able to judge the taste of (I do not particullarly care for mushrooms and would discount any oddities in the taste to them).

Thanks much.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You could also just make a nice thick veggie-bean chili (I'm sure somebody has a great recipe in the "recipe" section) and forget about recplacing the meat.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Kidney beans or any sort of beans and loads of veg.

Soy mince/crumbles would also work (perhaps with a healthy does of beans?), as Jessica Alana mentioned.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Hormel Vegetarian Chili. Sounds drastic but it is actually quite good. I'd use that and spend the time gained on something else.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelin View Post

Why eat premade when you can make it easily and probably have it taste better?
I was responding to the OP. If someone is asking for advice about making good veggie chili in a few days, when never having made any, premade is a great idea. I've been served plenty of half-assed, unpracticed, and poorly prepared veggie chili - enough to stand by my recommendation.

I don't think StephenD or his friends live in fantasyland, so I was simply offering a reasonable, stress-free option.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Just leave out the meat. I made delicious chili tonight for my parents and husband (all non-vegetarians). Here's what I did:

1. Sauteed a chopped onion in olive oil until soft and golden.

2. Added chopped garlic and a chopped jalapeno pepper -- sauteed a few minutes more.

3. Added a can of diced tomatoes, can of kidney beans, can of black beans, chopped celery, chopped red and green bell peppers, salt, pepper, chili powder, and oregano.

4. Brought to a boil, reduced to low heat, covered, and simmered until we were ready for dinner.

Easy peasy!

·
Registered
885 Posts
How lovely for a host to go to this much trouble for a guest! They are lucky to have you :)

You can leave out the meat, or for the vegetarian, substitute your hamburger with veggie hamburger crumbles. You can get them at any grocery store. Treat them as you would cooked meat - you can defrost them in a pan before throwing in the sauce, but its not really necessary to "cook" them (unless you purchase the Quorn brand, I believe.)

Your guest will be thrilled. You can use your own recipe (as long as it doesnt have any animal ingredients) and just substitute vegetarian "ground round" for the "real" meat. I have a friend who is NOT vegetarian, but ALWAYS makes her chili with the vegetarian crumbles, because its better for you. She loves the taste :) I admit her chili is fantastic too :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts