VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew is being given a graduation party by some friends of his and unfortunately, they are doing the BBQ thing. These are your Texas folks who love meat, cheese and everything unhealthy. So, I asked if I could bring something so that I could at least have something to snack on. My only thought was to bring some hummus and crackers. I have no clue what would go with an outdoor type party - even including drinks. I don't do sodas, as I am diabetic and refuse to use artificial sweeteners. Any and ALL suggestions are very welcome.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Maybe pack some Tofu Bacon T.B.L.T.'s , some tortilla chips and hummus, and some fruit-juice and club soda mix? I bring food whenever in doubt. Maybe pasta salad or potato salad too. Or even some burritios or veggie wraps.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Bring along your favorite beverage (or juice?)

My husband usually talks me into making vegan potato salad for his annual company BBQ and he also takes a watermelon and some veggie dogs.

Other ideas:

Veggie Burgers

Blue Tortilla Chips

Homemade salsa

Tossed Salad

BBQ Tofu

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
punkmommy - I know I must sound dense, but on the club soda fruit juice mix, do you just mix half n half? Also, is there a particular fruit that goes best when mixed this way?

I like the idea of potato salad, too. I saw a good recipe for one on vegweb. I also like the idea of taking homemade salsa, but I have no idea how to make it. Suggestions are welcome, and I will also look on vegweb.

Thanks soooo much for the suggestions. Oh...the watermelon gave me an idea of bringing a fruit tray. Those are always nummy. Wow, I knew if I asked, "great minds" would help me out!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
you can never go wrong with pasta salad. i make it all the time for omni gatherings. just noodles, fresh chopped veggies and salad dressing (balsamic vinegrette works well) and if there's leftover it makes a good snack late at night. i wish i had some right now

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
my favourite is pineapple juice and club soda, or lemonade and club soda! i drink this all the time now, since i weaned myself off of cola a few months ago.

i would really be heisitant to bring anything that needed to be grilled, unless i was bring my own grill. too much chance of cross-contamination! the last bbq i went to, i made gazpacho soup (cold spicy tomato soup), a tabouleh (cous cous and parsley) salad, buns and my almost-famous tarragon tofu "chicken" salad with walnuts.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Here are some user-rated, 5-star recipes, from one of my favorite recipe sites. Any of these would be appropriate to take and share at a barbecue:

Avocado Salsa:

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/vcdsls.asp

Grandma's Slowcooker Vegetarian {actually, vegan} Chili:

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/...vegetarian.asp

Foil Wrapped Veggies: {the nice thing about this recipe is it gives you something to put on the grill, but because you can bring it already wrapped in foil to be put on the grill, there's no cross-contamination}

http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/AZ/FilWrppdVggis.asp

Asian Coleslaw:

http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/AZ/FilWrppdVggis.asp

Black Bean & Corn Salad II:

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/AZ/...ornSaladII.asp

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I got my husband one of those mini propane grills for about $15. We have brought this with us to cookouts so we can have a "clean" cooking space. It will also come in handy when we go camping this summer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boy, the ideas are beginning to make me hungry! Everything sounds really good. I was told that there were only about 30 people invited to this party, so any of your suggestions would work. Also...I really don't expect people to eat much of what I bring, though I may be proven wrong. When those of you have gone to events where you brought your own food, did you have many people that tried the dish?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a student and work at the University. Last week was student appreciation week...so my department decided that we would have a bbq for the students. Since I am not into the hamburgers and hotdogs they had planned on my immediate boss made me somthing called zuchinni slippers. She took zuchinni and slightly cooked them then cut them in half and did something like a twice baked potato with them. Scooped out the insides and mixed them with corn, green chile, and black beans... and then put the mixture back in the shells. Then they grilled them on foil until they were heated through. She made 8 zuchinnis of this stuff and I am the only veggie but when I went to go get seconds they were all gone. They were YUM!

·
Registered
0 Posts
The Black Bean & Corn Salad I recommended above always goes fast. It's an attractive-looking salad, and once a few people try it, word gets around how yummy and zingy it is
And because it's a salad, nobody misses the meat.

On the recipe website, at the bottom of the recipe on the left hand side, there's a "scaling" tool. So if the original recipe serves 6 and you'd like it to serve 24, you just type "24" in the box. Obviously, some numbers work out more evenly than others. If you want to make enough to share for 30, I'd recommend that you make at least a triple batch (serve 18). If you happen to have any leftovers... this stuff is great wrapped up in a tortilla the next day, or served atop a bed of lettuce for a salad

·
Registered
504 Posts
Maybe you could bring a veggie burger with your own roll and ask if you can microwave it. Then you wouldn't have to worry about using a grill with meat drippings on it (unless you put foil down like someone else said, but you would probably also want a clean utensil to turn it and take it off).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts