VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for vegan white chocolate?

We need it to make a chocolate gonache (sp?>

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I don't know if there is such a thing.....

white chocolate is usually made from cocoa butter, milk, sugar, and vanilla (and maybe some kind of filler). you could prolly try making it yourself, assuming you could find pure cocoa butter, but whether or not it would work in a ganache, I couldn't say....

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
ah, there is a recipe for this somewhere. hang on. i'll search for it for you. i remember the key ingredient being food grade cocoa butter, which can usually only be found in specialty shops, like for cake decorating, candy making etc.

ETA:

here we go! i got this off the yahoo group, herbivore, but the person who posted it says they got it off vegsource a la chef deb.

if you try it, let me know how it turns out. i used to make this beautiful bombe de chocolat that uses white chocolate and this may be just what i need to recreate it, vegan-style.

Vegan White Chocolate

1/2 cup food-grade cocoa butter

1/3 cup natural sugar

1/3 cup soymilk powder

1/2 cup water

1/2 tsp powdered lecithin (granules ground to powder OK)

1 tsp vanilla powder

Mix water, soymilk powder, and sugar in the top pan of a double boiler.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted.

Turn off heat.

Mix in cocoa butter, stirring until blended.

Mix in lecithin, stirring until blended.

Mix in vanilla powder, stirring until thoroughly blended.

Pour onto a greased plate.

Let cool completely.

Break into pieces.

Store in ziplock bags.

Keep refrigerated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i've heard that there's someplace out in california that sells vegan white chocolate.. I don't know anything more about the place though - sorry!

I don't know why Tropical Source can't make a plain white chocolate bar - their green tea bar is just tea flavored white chocolate! Maybe we could all write them asking them to make a plain bar..

I do dearly miss white chocolate myself - especially white chocolate coated pretzels.. *sigh*

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
I never even thought of making a ganache out of white chocolate... i've only ever made it of semi sweet chocolates and heavy cream...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I tried making the White Chocolate from Vegsource, and it didn't turn out. I had to special order the cocoa butter online (couldn't find any food-grade anywhere), and attempted making the recipe 3 times. I tried changing it around a bit, and it still didn't work. It never fully firmed up, and stuck to the candy molds. I am a good vegan cook, and I know it wasn't my cookin'!
I even tried posting to Chef Deb about this, but my request was denied

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I was drooling over a vegan cannoli recipe in the latest issue of Vegetarian Times, and it also called for cocoa butter. I was wondering where I could buy some, I guess I'll have to look online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts