VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I started a new vegan website called www.veganchamber.org. It is a vegan chamber of commerce with a searchble business directory, but I also have a forum, and myspace like community. I will also have a classifieds and employment boards for free in the next couple months.

Please don't make test account of listing as I have made many of these and had no problems. Feel free to make real accounts though. I am looking for feedback on the general usability of this site, and any added features you think would be nice.

Thanks,

C.J.

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
Ducati - great idea!

Is this a non-profit?

As a consumer, I'd like to know if there is any screening criteria for the businesses in the listings, or if you could include standard format statements about the businesses that explain how they each appeal to/support veganism (I'd be apprehensive to use their services with confidence, at least on that merit, if there wasn't such an explanation).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nigel,

It will be set up as a non-profit eventually, but it won't be entirely free. I plan to charge $24 a year for listing in the business directory. I hope I can keep everything else free.

I am going on the honor system with regards to if a company is vegan owned. It would be impossible for me to investigate whether every business is owned by vegans and that would be up to the end consumer to decide. I will of course review their website if they have one, and see if they do hold up to vegan principles. If not, they will not be allowed to join.

The company does not need to support veganism, just be vegan owned. A car mechanic has no opportunity to efficiently promote veganism, but I would rather give my money to them instead of a non-vegan. The company merely has to be vegan owned, and if it is vegan owned, they can't use any animal products otherwise, they technically wouldn't be vegan owned. I would make some exceptions for example a used car dealer might buy and sell cars with leather seats. I wouldn't consider this consumption, but redistributing.

In addition, anyone will be able to object to someone's membership. If we have a Doctor on our site listed as vegan and you go to his waiting room and it is full of leather couches, you could email us this info, and if that member has no justification (such as it is a rented space and the couches were included), then they would be removed from the list.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
The site looks great Ducati. What a wonderful idea.

Is this going to be a US thing only, or will it be international?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

The site looks great Ducati. What a wonderful idea.

Is this going to be a US thing only, or will it be international?
Synergy,

It is suppose to be international. This is the reason the free classified and employment scripts won't work for me. They lacked an international format. I will probably have to dish out some big bucks for those, but they will have much better features. I also want people to be able to network, and hopefully we will find some venture capitalists in the vegan community to help start some great vegan business models.

I think the jobs board will be big. I intend it to be free for job seekers, but employers will have to be chamber members to use it. I just would love for vegans to work with other vegans. I know that if I were going to hire someone, I would feel so much more comfortable knowing that they weren't aren't buying steaks with their payhecks.

I hope the community blossoms into a place where people can express themselves freely. I think it would be a great way for people to brainstorm not only business ideas, but ways to help spread veganism and converse about animal rights. Plus I want people to post events in their area so that people can network socially. I think this is so important because you definiately want to be friends with someone before you take on more important matters. Its hard tabling with people you don't know.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Nice job! I did notice what I believe is a typo??

The VCC membership is open to all vegan owned businesses. Our membership includes a monthly newsletter, our "Pround Member of the Vegan Chamber of Commerce" window decal, member only discounts from participating chamber members,

Is it supposed to be 'Proud'?

I'm anal like that.

I am, nonetheless, very impressed with anyone who takes on such an endeavor!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Duc, nice job!!

And not a moment too soon. It's high time that vegs expand their sphere of influence beyond the dinner table. With economic unity I believe we can rocket to the next level, and I've been pushing this topic for years (although I've never been inspired enough to do anything about it
).

About a year ago I posted a thread about giving our money only to vegs, and I recall most people supported the idea but had no idea where to begin. Now we do! Before making any purchase in the future, I'll check VeganChamber first. I really mean that.

One suggestion: I love directories which allow users to rate the establishments (example VegDining.com). This accomplishes 2 purposes:

(1) It provides dynamic content that keeps your visitors coming back.

(2) It provides a way of policing your listings. For example, if McDonalds somehow sneaks in, the viewers can immediatley rate it a 0 and flag it for termination.

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is a great idea! Kudos!

Does anyone know if a chamber exists for vegetarian-owned businesses? For instance, I have a business that offers vegan products, but I myself am vegetarian, not vegan. Feel free to PM me if you want, to keep this thread on its vegan topic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Awesome idea!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatorMouse View Post

Duc, nice job!!

And not a moment too soon. It's high time that vegs expand their sphere of influence beyond the dinner table. With economic unity I believe we can rocket to the next level, and I've been pushing this topic for years (although I've never been inspired enough to do anything about it
).

About a year ago I posted a thread about giving our money only to vegs, and I recall most people supported the idea but had no idea where to begin. Now we do! Before making any purchase in the future, I'll check VeganChamber first. I really mean that.

One suggestion: I love directories which allow users to rate the establishments (example VegDining.com). This accomplishes 2 purposes:

(1) It provides dynamic content that keeps your visitors coming back.

(2) It provides a way of policing your listings. For example, if McDonalds somehow sneaks in, the viewers can immediatley rate it a 0 and flag it for termination.
Two mods I will be making soon are a review script, and a coupon script so business can have printable coupons on their profile.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheart View Post

This is a great idea! Kudos!

Does anyone know if a chamber exists for vegetarian-owned businesses? For instance, I have a business that offers vegan products, but I myself am vegetarian, not vegan. Feel free to PM me if you want, to keep this thread on its vegan topic.

Thanks!
No chamber that I know of exists. The reason I am not including vegetarians is that they still contribute to a great deal of suffering and global impact.

Personally, I would rather you eat a huge steak then drink a glass of milk or fry an egg. If you eat a steak, that animal is dead and can suffer no more. If you drink milk or eat eggs, you are contributing to the ongoing suffering of those animals. My advice is for you to reconsider why you are vegetarian and not vegan.

This is not a flame, just an opinion. I was vegetarian for three years because I was ill informed, and I think this is why most vegetarian remain vegetarian. A well informed compassionate vegetarian only have one option. To become vegan.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Nice job! I did notice what I believe is a typo??

The VCC membership is open to all vegan owned businesses. Our membership includes a monthly newsletter, our "Pround Member of the Vegan Chamber of Commerce" window decal, member only discounts from participating chamber members,

Is it supposed to be 'Proud'?

I'm anal like that.

I am, nonetheless, very impressed with anyone who takes on such an endeavor!
Thanks for catching that. I still have a lot of work on the front end and such. I hate writing such things. I worked as a technical writer for several years, so wiriting with style is somewhat beyond me. LOL

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. Awesome idea!
I'm browsing around the site, and I think it looks great. I love how you set up the business direcctory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts