VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, parsley, yogurt and fresh mint and would like to make a salad out of this to stuff in pitas.

What other herb or spice would go well with this. Dill? I've had similar salads (minus the chickpeas) in Middle Eastern cafes, but my mind is really drawing a blank here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Maybe some dill, or the tiniest bit of lemon, but honestly, it might not need anything. Make it and taste... THEN decide. A little salt and pepper might just be perfect and the only thing you need.

Sounds yummy!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Cilantro or flat parsley.

Lemon is always good with chick peas.

A tiny bit of cayenne might be just the thing though (it brings out other flavors without dominating by itself, if you put in just a tiny bit).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yep. Forgot garlic. It's ace with this combination. It's great with anything (except maybe chocolate pie ?). LOL ! My mom always puts a ton of garlic and lemon juice in her hummus (and she makes the best hummus around).

·
Registered
10 Posts
ooo! one of my favorite foods

chickpeas

i even eat them by the handful, like nuts!

to stay with the middle eastern flavor

cumin or paprika or turmeric...to taste, of course

you might want to add sweet onion too, for some zing...

btw, when i first read your ingredients

it sounded like a greek salad to me

so, if you want to go that way

skip the mint

and add

red onion

lemon

kalamata olives

yummmm.....

good luck and happy eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vggiegirl View Post

I have chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, parsley, yogurt and fresh mint and would like to make a salad out of this to stuff in pitas.

What other herb or spice would go well with this. Dill? I've had similar salads (minus the chickpeas) in Middle Eastern cafes, but my mind is really drawing a blank here.

Thanks!

11,550 Posts
-toasted/dry roasted (put em in a warm pan till they go slightly darker and smell lush) cumin seeds, either left whole, or ground with a pestle and mortar mixed into the chickpeas.....(whole dry roasted cumin seeds are soooo nice!)

-a few flakes of cayenne pepper put through a pepper grinder

-lemon juice and fried diced/roasted/awful powdered garlic, with maybe a smidge of dried oregano

-curly/flatleaf fresh chopped parsley (parsley is just great)

or a combination of any of the above. 'spect you ate it by now though, lol.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
A lot of the above ideas are great, but it seems from the original idea, that you're going for sort-of a Greek/Middle Eastern recipe - almost a garbanzo-tabbouleh-tzatziki sort of thing? Sounds DEEELISH...

However, if that's what you're going for, to keep flavors fresh and light, I would NOT add the cumin and definitely keep the mint. Cumin and mint will clash. And often garlic and mint too.

Cumin and garlic are heavier, stronger flavors, and are GREAT in hummus and other applications, but not always so good in fresh salads where raw ingredients are used (cumin especially - not so much garlic).

So, my thought, if you're wanting to use the tomato and cucumber and such, and NOT go with a hummus-type dish, you might not want to use cumin, but stick to fresher, lighter flavors like lemon, parsley and definitely the mint.... I really think the mint will make this salad!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.