VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me make yogurt using Silk? I used to make homemade vegan yogurt using 8th Continent Soymilk the exact same way you would make a dairy yogurt using milk. Suddenly all my area grocery stores have stopped carrying 8th Continent but they have 500 different varieties of Silk. I've tried making yogurt 3 times with different varieties of Silk but it either doesn't set or has a horrible tart aftertaste or both. Anyone here had success making yogurt using Silk? Thanks!

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
I usually make yogurt with Silk but the last time I made some I used 8th Continent and it came out very similar to my Silk yogurt. I do usually use a can of coconut milk with a half gallon of soy milk so that aids with the setting and can cover a bit of the taste difference between the brands. It's not a great option if you want to avoid the added (saturated) fat (or don't want a slight coconut taste) but it makes the concoction have slightly higher fat than whole cow's milk. Another thing I've discovered that helps with setting is to have a lot air in the jar; I split the mixture between 2 2 quart jars, so each jar is a bit more than half full and the my yogurt has been coming out pretty thick. Hope that helps =)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm hesitant to use coconut milk due to the added fat but I can certainly try leaving extra air in the container. What type of Silk do you use (e.g. Silk Original Soy Milk)? This is the method I was using with 8th Continent which is not working with Silk. Is this what you do?

1) Heat "milk" to 170 (not sure if this step is necessary with non-dairy milk but I've been doing it any way).
2) Wait for it to cool to 100 - 110.
3) Add starter to about 2 cups of "milk" and whisk well.
4) Add rest of "milk" and mix together.
5) Put in yogurt maker for 8 - 10 hours.
6) Refrigerate overnight.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to respond.

If I'm using a new container of store-bought 'milk' I don't scald it because I figure more microbes could get in it while it's cooling then could be there straight out of the sealed carton (maybe this isn't the best approach, but so far it's worked for me); so I only heat the 'milk' up to about 100-110° F.
I just whisk the starter into all of the 'milk'.
I incubate it for about 12-16 hours (I like it tangy and I hoping the few extra hours of fermentation destroy some of the phytic acid).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for getting back to me. I will try again following your process EXACTLY. I'm technically a vegetarian and not a vegan, although I strive to be vegan and REALLY don't want to go back to eating dairy yogurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Houston we have lift off!

faded_amaranth, I made yogurt last night following your method exactly using Silk Original Soymilk and it seems to have worked. I think I prefer the taste of 8th Continent better but it’s probably just a matter of getting used to it and at least I finally have actual yogurt instead of a liquidy foul-tasting mess. I can also experiment with different types of Silk and see if I find something that tastes better. If not, what I have now is still better than using dairy yogurt.

Aliakai, I guess I wasn’t clear in my post. I was actually using a dairy starter with active cultures. It was the milk itself I was having trouble with. Even though my yogurt wasn’t totally vegan, I figured that using one cup of dairy to make 8 cups of nondairy yogurt was pretty good. Now that I’ve got soy yogurt-making down again, I can certainly try and make it totally vegan. I think my grocery store sells Almond Dream, and if not, I will check out Amazon.

Naturebound, one of my vegan friends suggested using tofu since that’s what they do. I thought it might be too expensive since I eat a lot of yogurt and don’t make my own tofu, but maybe I should double check the store prices on tofu and could perhaps go that route too.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. It’s so nice to be able to eat nondairy yogurt again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts