VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to write a essay about topic of my choice. I chose to write on the health benefits of vegetaranism. My professor said I needed a personal research for my paper. So, I thought I would do a survey asking you guys what yalls opinion on it was and some of the health benefits youv noticed since being veggie.
Please, lol I really need a good grade on this paper. You can post your thouhgts here and I'll just paste them on microsoft word and print them, so I hope you dont mind being mentioned in my paper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't been veggie long, almost a month now but I do feel a lot better already! Its great because now I KNOW what I am putting into my body. Plant-based diets protect us against heart disease, diabetes, obesity, strokes, and many types of cancer. I don't have to worry so much about the saturated fat, cholesterol, and contaminants that are found in meat. So I know I will be healthier! Plus I have lost a few pounds too, just by eating better food choices.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My personal experience. I became a vegetarian 11 years ago for ethical reasons. Since it's been so long now, I can't remember what changes, if any, I experienced. I do know, however, that most food-borne diseases are spread through eating contaminated meats. For example: bioaccumulation of toxins such as mercury, or the dinoflaggelate toxin found in oysters, ciggarotoxin in predatory ocean fish, neurotoxin in fruit bats (discovered in Vietnam where old men were getting dimensia). Also, many bacterial diseases are spread in meat products: Salmonella, E. coli, Camphylobacter. Also prions: Creutzfeldt Jacobs disease (although I am not sure the link to mad cow disease is iron-clad). Also parasites: trichinosis (roundworms found commonly in pork).

Recently I became vegan and I have noticed a big change in the way I feel generally. After meals, I rarely feel bloated or "weighed down" with my meal, and I also rarely have upset stomach. I have also noticed that my complexion has become less ruddy and more clear during this time.

I am very physically active, and being vegetarian has not held me back in any way. In fact, being vegetarian makes me extremely aware of what I am putting into my body, so I might think twice before eating an unhealthy food item.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I definitely have more energy and I just feel better.

My complexion is better; not many breakouts if any.

Not to be gross, but I had a very hard time digesting pork and beef, so icky gas and constipation. That's gone - yay!

I've also lost weight which is always a bonus!

·
Registered
486 Posts
for my "Intro to Animal Science" class, we spent an entire lab unit on the various diseases that are spread through animal-based foods, and studying all the protective food safety measures that have to be implemented at each stage, from production to processing to retailer to consumer.

If at any point someone fails to keep it at the correct temperature and pressure, you've got disease that is practically impossible to track. Meat eaters are constantly hovering at a threshold of microbial infection, and any single factor can shift in the wrong direction, putting them in the bathroom for the next several days.

We also had to do this exercise where we shoved a bunch of chicken carcasses around on cutting boards, then washed the boards and our hands, then looked at everything under a black light. They had mixed in this stuff called Glo-bact that simulated the reproductive/contaminating capacity of food-borne bacteria, and it showed up all over everything.

Of course, as the only vegan, I was very happy to say that I didn't have to worry about ANY of that.

BTW, I'm planning to write my prof. about a few of the slides she used concerning animal products being the only source of Vit B-12. She didn't explain why B-12 is found in meat, which is that animals either eat the organisms in the soil that make B-12 or they harbor those organisms in their rumens if they are ruminants. If we ate those organisms ourselves (which we did before we started supercleaning everything) we wouldn't need to get it from the animals that ate them first. Of course, it's easy to get them from supplements now so you don't have to risk getting infected by all the worms & parasites that livestock drop all over the ground, contaminating the soil that veggies might be grown in.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I used to get an upset stomach quite frequently and it's only just occured to me lately that since I've been vegetarian, I hardly ever get it anymore. In fact, I only get a sore stomach now when I'm actually sick.

And to add to what Panthera was saying: last year my bf and I went to Australia for 10 days and just before we went he ate some bad chicken and had the squirts for the first 4 days of our holiday. Since I hadn't eaten the chicken, I was fine. It was a really bad time to get sick.

·
Registered
486 Posts
also, the fact that animal products (including milk & eggs) require such vigiliance in terms of contamination means that the processing generally destroys much of the nutritional benefits of the food. The easiest example of this is pasteurizing milk or juice, in order to kill pathogens, but thereby also destroying most vitamins.

Animal products always carry more pathogens, and any cleaning process has to be harsh enough to slow them down. Using heat, or acid, or salt, kills pathogens by denaturing proteins or upsetting their fluid balance. So you also break up the nutrients that you want to take advantage of!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I feel a lot better about myself. I love talking about whole grains, veggies, and fruits. I love being a vegetarian. I just feel really healthy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts