VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be incredibly busy which aslo means incredibly tired the next couple of months(work) so I need some extra easy meal ideas..I mean like 10 minutes..

I am thinking like one of my fave meals..brown rice, slasa and black beans..

So quick with few ingredients. I need ideas for all meals and snacks..Thanks for any help you cna provide.

Amy

·
Registered
787 Posts
Brown rice, beans, and salsa are a good start! You could try wrapping up leftovers in tortillas for bean burritos; add some veg etc. Other wraps you can try are scrambled eggs/tofu with salsa and salad, hummus with veg (you could even roast some veg; just add oil and some seasonings, toss them in the oven for a bit and forget about them til done), peanut butter and banana, apple slices, or raisins, tahini and veg, etc.

Crackers, ricecakes or oatcakes with hummus, cheese, or nut butter. (Are you vegan?) Cereal, muesli, or granola with milk or yoghurt. Bagel with hummus or tahini and veg, peanut butter and jam or a sliced banana, etc. Sarnies! With bean dips, cheese, tahini, nut butters, veg sausage/deli meats, etc plus veg. Salads are fast + no cooking is good!

Couscous takes 5 minutes or so to cook, so it's very fast. To make it a bit classier, stuff it into a boiled bell pepper (just take the stem and seeds off, then simmer it in water while the couscous is cooking) and add some beans, sweetcorn and other veg.

Curry is pretty fast- chop any veg you like, add a tin of chickpeas and one of tomatoes plus curry powder to taste, simmer until cooked. Chilli in the same way: a tin of tomatoes, a tin of mixed/kidney/other beans, a big handful of sweetcorn, and some chopped veg (carrots, bell pepper, etc). Add onion and garlic if you like, some oregano, cumin and chilli powder. Done. Vegetable or bean hotpots: potatoes, carrots, peas, veg, beans etc, simmer until done.

Stir fries! Just chop ingredients, fry in a bit of oil until almost done, add tamari or jarred sauce (sweet and sour is good!), some cashew nuts or baked tofu if you like, and serve over cooked brown rice, couscous, or quick-cooking rice noodles.

Make extra whenever you cook, so that you can eat it for a few days or freeze some for a day when you're even more tired. If you have a day with extra time, try making a big pot of soup, stew, curry or a casserole that will keep you going for a bit!

For snacks, try dried or fresh fruit, nuts and seeds, ricecakes or oatcakes with spread, raw veg with dip, fruit smoothies (fruit + juice, milk or yoghurt, blend it up! Add some nut butter or flaxseeds if you'd like.), porridge or cereal, yoghurt drinks, sandwiches, etc. No worries

Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
This link has suggestions for relatively healthy on-the-go eating. It's for omnis, but it gives good ideas for snacks and breakfasts. Also the ideas can be adapted for veg*ns, obviously. For instance, you can sub baked tofu or veg. patties for the chicken and fish and stuff.

http://http://www.realsimple.com/rea...3886-4,00.html

I love these:

Shake-and-Bake Tofu Scroll down a bit to get to the recipe. It's really easy. It does take a little longer than 10 minutes to bake, but there's no planning ahead, pressing or marinating like a lot of tofu recipes. I use all kinds of dips with them, that I just whip up while they're baking.

My fallback really easy chili--1 can chili beans in sauce, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup corn, heat and eat. I like to put it on top of baked potatoes, polenta or cornbread pancakes.

The classic easy dinner: whole grain pasta, jarred sauce, bagged salad.

Easy veg*n German: Veg dogs/sausage, cooked w/saurkraut, serve with apple sauce, potato of your choice.

When I'm really busy like that I tend to rely more on conveniance foods. I find myself eating more "chik" patties, veggie dogs, pre-made tortellini, canned soups, that sort of thing. I just read labels like crazy to avoid additives as much as I can.

Oh, here's another of my fave easy dinners.

Garlicky Tahini-Chard Sauce over Quinoa I've used all different kinds of greens with this. It's yummy, quick and good for you!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
How about pasta with a jar of sauce? I like putting frozen broccoli in mine (microwave first to thaw). I've been experimenting with high protein things to add, like fake meats and edamame, but I'm not 100% happy with anything I've tried so far. With a jar of sauce and a pound of pasta, I easily get 4 meals out of it, and it's quick to reheat and eat.

--Fromper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.