VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got some good vegan soups/stews etc for the crockpot? I've been working crazy long hours lately and the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is to cook something. Would be nice to have something ready when I get home and have some leftovers for lunch @ work the next day

Pretty much the only thing I've been cooking in my crockpot right now is chili.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for linking to my crock pot lava cake recipe! however, there is a caveat: while the cake has been a big hit with the two other people who've tried it, i personally think it tastes kind of floury, almost a bit bitter as well. that seems to disappear when eaten the next day, but i'm still experimenting with the recipe.

tonight i made a black bean, tomato and carrot soup: beans and broth and veggies make a great base for a ton of different crock pot recipes. just use different herbs and spices to suit your tastes. you can also add in nut creams, coconut milk, etc., for heavier and richer dishes.

i also have a recipe for vegan crock pot chinese "beef" and broccoli that i'll probably test out next week.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I have a crockpot in my attic, still in the box...been there since Christmas two years ago! I need to break it out and start using it!!

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
I make chili all the time with a easy & cheap recipe that I tweaked from the vegan stoner:

-can of chili beans [i get it from whole foods]
-3/4 can of corn
-can of stewed tomatoes
-hotsauce
-boca veggie crumbles
-yellow onion chopped

& vegan cornbread from whole foods ahaha because I'm greedy with my free time :]

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
About every other week I make split pea soup in the crockpot. I just take a small bag of split peas and rinse them, remove rocks or whatever. Dump them in the crockpot and cover with water, then add another 2-4 cups of water. Then I add bouillon cubes (I like the Edward & Sons Not-Chick'n Bouillon Cubes) or Better than Bouillon paste. Sometimes I add sauted onions, carrots, celery but not always. I put it on high for four hours (or low for 8 would work). Then I come back with the handheld immersion blender and make it smooth. Everyone in my family loves it. We usually eat it with toast and salad.

Lentils can cook up almost the same way. For lentil soup add the same amount of water and then use a different, heartier bouillon. Add some veggies (fresh or frozen) and/or potato (keep in mind that potatoes will soak up the flavor so add them last and add more seasonings). There you go, lentil veggie soup. Or for dal, add far less water and blend into a smooth paste before serving.

Then about once a week I make some kind of beans in the crockpot. I soak the beans overnight the night before and then rinse well. I put them in the crockpot and just barely cover them with water. I add one or more of the following flavor combos: taco seasoning corn and tvp, diced tomatoes garlic onion and italian seasoning, celery bell pepper onion and cajun seasoning. Then I serve the beans with rice or in a burrito or taco. There's always leftovers to make more meals with later - enchilada pies, bean dip, bean soup, etc.

There are also these veg crockpot cookbooks:
The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour by Kathy Hester
Quick and Easy Vegan Slow Cooking: More Than 150 Tasty, Nourishing Recipes That Practically Make Themselves by Carla Kelly
Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are by Robin Robertson
The Simple Little Vegan Slow Cooker by Michelle A. Rivera

What's great about crockpot cooking is that you can prepare a meal for dinner while cooking up lunch. Or you can make lots of beans in one day - beans in the crockpot, beans in a pressure cooker, and beans on the stove - all at once. Store some in the fridge, some in the frezzer, and eat some now. It saves time to get it done all at once!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I used to be a big crockpot fan, but my pressure cooker has changed that because it's so fast and it's more environmentally friendly, as it uses far less energy. I still use my crockpot occasionally, for some thicker foods, like chili, because they will scorch on the bottom and ruin the entire pot of food.

·
Registered
54 Posts
best thread ever! I love using my crock pot but haven't made anything in it since I went vegetarian. I've got all of the above bookmarked and can't wait to try these recipes!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thank you for that great Black Bean, Tomato, Carrot soup recipe. It was so easy for a non cooker like me. I found it to come out more like a chili. I may have let it cook too long, but I like the consistency. I threw in a half a bag of baby carrots so I had no chopping to do at all. I used cans of Tomato that were already in my cabinet so it was just a matter of dumping everything in. I will need to figure out a little more spices to add flavor. It is lacking a little, but just might need some salt, which I did not add. I think more Cummin would make it really good. Since my crock pot was already used, I just through in the rest of my beans from the batch I made and added two more cans of tomatoes and this time tried an additional cup of Veg Stock. I will just freeze it and will have a ton of food to eat in the next two weeks, which was so inexpensive to make. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I bought a crockpot cookbook for my daughter for Christmas. How tacky would it be if I copied some recipes from it before I wrap it? lol It has a special section for vegetarian/vegan recipes!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I bought a crockpot cookbook for my daughter for Christmas. How tacky would it be if I copied some recipes from it before I wrap it? lol It has a special section for vegetarian/vegan recipes!
Lol. I say go for it!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
"bratwurst" simmered in beer.

‎1/2 lbs soy sausage, sliced
4 medium potatoes, sliced
3 parsnips, peeled and cut
3 medium onions, quartered
12 oz Oktoberfest-style beer

Brown the sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Transfer it to an electric slow cooker.
In the same skillet, brown the potatoes, parsnips and onions. Transfer to the slow cooker. Pour in the beer. Cover and cook on LOW until the meat is done and the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours

makes me drool just posting it

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Go ahead. I do that all the time. Read books (and swipe recipes if it's a cookbook) before wrapping them and giving them away. Mind you, sometimes the intended recipient ends up with something else because I liked the book so well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea go ahead and make copies...then post them here :p

thx for the recipes everyone! going to have trouble deciding what to try first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

Thank you for that great Black Bean, Tomato, Carrot soup recipe. It was so easy for a non cooker like me. I found it to come out more like a chili. I may have let it cook too long, but I like the consistency. I threw in a half a bag of baby carrots so I had no chopping to do at all. I used cans of Tomato that were already in my cabinet so it was just a matter of dumping everything in. I will need to figure out a little more spices to add flavor. It is lacking a little, but just might need some salt, which I did not add. I think more Cummin would make it really good. Since my crock pot was already used, I just through in the rest of my beans from the batch I made and added two more cans of tomatoes and this time tried an additional cup of Veg Stock. I will just freeze it and will have a ton of food to eat in the next two weeks, which was so inexpensive to make. Thanks!
you're welcome! i'm glad you enjoyed it. i made a similar soup/stew with chickpeas, tomatoes, baby carrots, celery, potatoes and veg stock; i used curry powder, garlic, ground coriander and cayenne to flavour it. the great thing about these sorts of dishes is that they're difficult to screw up, and you can always add more spices if it tastes too bland.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

"bratwurst" simmered in beer.

‎1/2 lbs soy sausage, sliced
4 medium potatoes, sliced
3 parsnips, peeled and cut
3 medium onions, quartered
12 oz Oktoberfest-style beer

Brown the sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Transfer it to an electric slow cooker.
In the same skillet, brown the potatoes, parsnips and onions. Transfer to the slow cooker. Pour in the beer. Cover and cook on LOW until the meat is done and the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 hours

makes me drool just posting it
Does this taste like beer?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.