VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to explain to people that we are vegetarian bevause we just absolutely cannot support the extreme unnecessary animal cruelty and neglect that happens on meat farms. I tell them while I lived in Idaho and a boyfriend I was with back then worked in construction, I used to refularly go to dairies where he'd have a construction job and bring him lunch or whatever. I have yet to see a dairy that treats it cows and calves humanely. It is atrocious. Male calves are simply thrown in the garbage right after birth to starve to death and get eaten alive by flies. Takes a few days for them to die. Meanwhile their mother is grieving for the calf and hears the calf crying far away. Ugh, it's horrible. People argue that this represents only the minority of farms and that most farmers care very much about their animals. How do you argue that? Do you have helpful links that show not just isolated incidents, but about horrific practices that anyone should be appaled by that occurs in all farms? I know debeaking is one.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
You could argue that most animals that end up being meat are not seen on farms, because they are in slaughterhouses. It may look like there are thousands of farms and that's where most of the animals are, but it's not reality.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Humane slaughter is an oxymoron.

It really doesn't matter if just one farm in particular is unusually cruel to the animals-it's unnecessary and violent to torture those creatures,bad for the environment and human health.I don't want that on my conscience.

Some people won't give a damn no matter what you tell them though.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starleen View Post

All I say is "Even if 10% of those farms are that way, I want to have no part in supporting that."

I assume the majority of farms are pretty bad. But if they were all 'humane'/'best practise' it wouldn't change my mind. So if I couldn't convince them that this isn't 0.1% of farms or whatever they think it is, I would say:

"maybe all farms aren't like that. But do you know whether your meat comes from a 'good' farm or a 'bad' farm?"

or I would say

"the treatment of the animals is worse some places than others. But I don't consider the raising of animals for food and then their slaughter to be good no matter how well it's done".

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I assume the majority of farms are pretty bad. But if they were all 'humane'/'best practise' it wouldn't change my mind. So if I couldn't convince them that this isn't 0.1% of farms or whatever they think it is, I would say:

"maybe all farms aren't like that. But do you know whether your meat comes from a 'good' farm or a 'bad' farm?"

or I would say

"the treatment of the animals is worse some places than others. But I don't consider the raising of animals for food and then their slaughter to be good no matter how well it's done".

Raising, using, and killing animals for food is never humane.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I always think of the animal who is next in line seeing the awful thing that is happening to the one before it and knowing it's next. Fear, torture and murder is not humane. It doesn't matter if they were in the pasture enjoying their day just before it, this is how their beautiful day ended.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Greater than 90% of land animals that people eat come from factory farms. There is no sense in which factory farms can be called humane, from miserable birth to miserable death, a life of deprivation, frustration, pain, and depression.

Why don't you turn it around and ask them exactly where their meat came from? Did their ham come from Smithfield? Did their chicken come from Pilgrim's Pride? Gestation crates, overcrowding, battery caging...let them explain to you just how those animals they are eating lived and died.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Someone had a good point.

My engagement ring is a lab-created moissonite stone. It's gorgeous and I get tons of compliments on my "diamond". I clear it up immediately, and say that I specifically requested my husband not to get a diamond engagement ring for me. Inevitably they ask why.

It's partially because I am against all the cartels and artificial scarcity of diamonds in the US, but mostly because I don't want to support blood diamonds, which are diamonds that have caused tribal and governmental wars, that contribute to slavery and child labor and unfair working conditions. The truth is, only 10% of diamonds in the market would be considered blood diamonds.

But I can't go through life knowing there is a one-in-ten chance that the ring I'm wearing may have been mined by an underpaid child with one arm and a growing cough.

Maybe only a few farms are like that, but you can't know 100% where your meat came from, even if it is organic or free range. (And I would argue that most meat comes from factory farms.)

Then again, factory farming probably isn't your ONLY reason for being a vegetarian - there are so many reasons - but this is an example.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts