VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, let's start with me-I have 8 tattoos and my navel pierced. So everyone expects me to let my daughter do the same. Like they ask why I don't pierce her ears(she's 8 1/2 months old)Well when I explain that she might not want her body modified when she grows up, that it's her choice, they say well you're not letting her choose to be vegetarian or not.
Oh that makes me angry!!! Don't they understand I'm teaching her compassion? Although her father is not a vege he totally supports me. What else can I tell these ignorant fools?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok - I dont have any kids yet (we are in the discussion stage), but as my husband isn't vegie we have discussed the issues that could arrise.

The only comment i have is that if you are raising your child vegie - and when they get to the age that they ask what meat is or see Mcdonalds etc, and after you explain where meat comes from and they still want to try it you let them.

In response to what to tell people regarding your childs right to choose eg piercings/food etc, you let them know that while your child isn't capable of asking for meat etc, that you have chosen to raise them without, if they (being the ignorant!), respond that when they get to an age when they can choose you will inform your child where meat & the likes come from and if your child decides to eat meat you will then respect their decision.

In the mean time you feel that you are providing the best varied diet that provides all necessary elements, and when you child grows that they can make a decision regarding meat just like piecing or tattos.

Sorry for being so long winded.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
She can always choose to eat meat later, but she probably won't ever be able to get rid of the holes in her body, or tattoos, without laser surgery.

I dunno. Really, I would have been, like, "A meat-eater is the last person to tell me how to raise my child."

·
Registered
811 Posts
There is one type of response needed to every question that is like this one:

"Why do you ask?"

"Why do you care?"

This will stop them in their tracks. It also will end the conversation. It's such a useful response in life - great for "Wow! that dress looks great - how much did it cost"?, "Why are you dating someone like that?", etc.

It is my response of choice to idiot questions. Anything else will continue the "discussion".

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
EquiPro, I like the "Why do you ask?" idea. As long as it's asked without grumbling or insinuation that "I hate you for asking" and said in a kind, curious-sounding manner, then it really could work well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
first I ask Do you really want to know? And if they actually say yes, I go on and on and on about the gruesome reality of factory farming, and the health risk it imposes on young children. Dr. Benjamin Spock backs up our beleifs that children should be raised Vegan, and not many people can argue with someone as credible as him when it comes to the welfare of children. And on a personal note, i think its child abuse to force a child to eat dead animals.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
808veggie, I've found that it works best if you don't get into a debate on your vegetarian beliefs in a situation like that. People try and force you into justifying yourself when you shouldn't have to.

Keep it broad, just tell them as her parent your're in charge of her welfare until she's of an age when she can make her own decisions, and that includes her nutrition and body decoration.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I agree, it's none of their business.

From what I've heard mothers get the more butinskis than any one else, except for maybe, mothers-to-be. The stories I hear of what even strangers on the street say to pregnant women and mothers makes my toenails curl.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If I ever have kids they will be vegan. If people criticize I will say "Sorry, but I don't think giving my kids a headstart on heart disease and cancer while teaching them to hurt animals is good parenting."

And piercing a baby? Well, that's just sick, IMO. Why would you go punching holes in your baby? Let her do that herself when she can decide she wants to.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really wish my parents had raised me a veggie and then let me decide. I didn't become a veggie til I was about 19, which is about 6 1/2 years for me. I can't help but feel sorry for all those animals I consumed for all those years......

·
Registered
0 Posts
My mom was veggie when I was growing up so all of my meals at home were vegetarian. I still ate meat outside of the home even though I knew what it was. I have always been very picky about what I ate and would not eat anything that resembled animals (like no steak or chicken on the bone, but I would eat ground beef). Anyway, my parents raised me to think for myself and make educated decisions. That is how I want to raise my 2 year old daughter. We will eat veggie at home and when the time is right I will explain to her about where meat comes from etc. She is already very intelligent and has already put together that the chickens she sees in books and on tv are what she was eating, so she will not eat chicken nuggets anymore.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like Pixelle's response! Perfect! When people get nosy I just usually say, "This is what works for us." What can they say to that?

I have a 3.5 year old and a 16 month old. We eat vegetarian at home. I let my 3.5 year old eat meat outside of our home if she wants to (the baby is still too young to choose her own food!) My 3.5 year old daughter is becoming more and more aware of where food comes from and asks many questions. The decision will be hers. That's just what works for us.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well you probably shouldn't get into the vegetarian debate unless you want to get yourself upset.. I have found that I can talk til I'm blue in the face about the horrors of factory farming and the benefits of a veggie diet, only to have whoever I'm talking to take another bite of their steak.. chicken..whatever.

I like Peeb's respsonse.. "Sorry, but I don't think giving my kids a headstart on heart disease and cancer while teaching them to hurt animals is good parenting."

As for the ear piercing thing, some people like to get their little girl's ears pierced when they're little because they don't really know what's going on and it doesn't hurt their soft little ears very much.. and it looks cute. Besides if she doesn't like them when she gets a little older she can take them out and let the holes close up. Ear piercing is nothing compared to all the other things that are pierceable today.. I myself have a small scar from where my eyebrow ring got pulled out at a concert... yes yes, a rather painful teenage phase.. but my ears were pierced when I was 2 and I still love changing my earrings!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Great responses in here. That attitude people have is so obnoxious. They're being incredibly stupid when they ask something of that nature, it's right up there with "plants feel too, love your veggies". You just wanna smack them upside the head. But my belief is you ARE giving them that choice! Those who feed their children dead animals, aren't informing their kids & aren't proposing a choice. We are doing the healthiest, kindest thing possible for our children, while they are just raising another brainwashed clone. Did anybody ask me if I wanted to eat meat or not? nope. I was just fed it. Well, if I'd been asked my answer would have been no. So, with that in mind, you raise your daughter as a vegetarian and if she decides it's not worth it when she's mature enough to understand (10yo, for example?) then so be it. Just like with the ear piercing, you've given a choice. So, what the hell are you thinking!? (said to the person with the stupid question!).

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The worst thing you can do is explain.... A trick to the meat a tarian mind, they almost always shut down when you start mentioning: The environment, animal welfare and GMO foods. They refuse to believe in any of the above because they want to justify thier steak dinner. I have found in my experience that unless asked directly about animal welfare etc. I don't mention it. Don't preach to a sleeping congregation, you won't wake them up.

The best thing you can do is keep it short,friendly and vague. The answer you want is... "Oh, Ok" I think Pixelle gave the best answer or here's another variation...

When she comes to an age of reason we will talk about that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts