VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my ideal weight is around 120-130 pounds. I'm currently about 200 pounds. A little over three and a half years ago I started a new desk job, so I wasn't as active as I once was. I also started birth control around the same time, and I steadily gained weight/fat to where I am now. A few months back I did some research on the birth control and discovered other women who had gained a ton of weight on it as well. So I decided to stop being on the birth control. It's been a few months and I haven't gained any more weight, but I'm having some trouble losing the fat. I'm don't eat particularly unhealthily, but with the desk job still pretty sedentary but I've started trying to use the stand up work stations. Am considering joing the gym (Curves) but not sure if it's worth the money...
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You need to do cardio and strength training. 30 minutes a day 3 times a week to start out with. You'll start losing weight in no time. I'm in a similar situation and so far I've lost about 8lbs with healthier portions (most portions we eat are 2 to 3 times what we should be eating) and exercise.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There is truly no alternative to "eat less, move more." The rest is propaganda. Find a calorie system that you can live with forever and a couple activities that you love (or at least dont hate) and the rest will come.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Kris View Post

There is truly no alternative to "eat less, move more." The rest is propaganda. Find a calorie system that you can live with forever and a couple activities that you love (or at least dont hate) and the rest will come.

And, I was 230lbs and lost it all, you can too
Just need to put forth the effort.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Curves works! It is definitely worth the money. It's fun, fast, and you'll make friends. I loved going. I lost a ton of weight, and it wasn't painful or boring. Just make sure to eat right too

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:

Yes, that's all you need to know. Everything else is trivia. Some diet and healthy eating pyramids now have physical activity included, which makes sense. You can't separate them in importance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sparkpeople.com is a great place to track calories. I am always shocked at how small portions are really supposed to be when I track the calories. Your body does adjust to smaller portions however.
Exercise is vital...I don't lose unless I count calories and exercise.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
Quote:

all in all this is true. but if you're eating very low fat, you can eat more gross calories and still lose. that's the only exception that i know of. and yes, you gotta move more.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyNest View Post

Sparkpeople.com is a great place to track calories. I am always shocked at how small portions are really supposed to be when I track the calories. Your body does adjust to smaller portions however.
OT: I L. O. V. E. your bunny pic!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyNest View Post

I second this. It's a wonderful site!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The the OP, I can tell you only what worked for me...

I January, I was 245 lbs. I didn't like this, so one day, I simply put on some shorts and a t-shirt and went for a jog.

My first jog was around 300 yards. At best. Red face, hard breathing, "this is a terrible idea", a little vomiting...

Fast forwar 6 months after almost completely cutting out white bread, potatoes and other "heavy" foods, I have now reached a point where I can run a half-marathon trail run.

The weight is now falling off by itself. Some weeks I don't run at all and the weight is still dropping.

Like someone else said, ust eat healthy and keep active. I don't use gyms - I consider them a scam - if the goal is weight loss and stamina.

Lots of greens, lots of fluids and some jogging.

I have in that time shed around 45 pounds simply by running one or twice a week and steadily increasing my distances.

Here is a video for you that still inspires me to this day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

·
Registered
28 Posts
Monitoring Calories really helps a lot for those people who've wanted to lose a lot of weight. If you will watch any edition of Biggest Loser Edition, you will notice that everyday, each contestant curious about their calories take from foods. Incorporate with this is proper diet, regular exercise and lastly proper sleep. Anyway do you know the slender factor promotes by WWE Divas last week? Anyone?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

OT: I L. O. V. E. your bunny pic!
Thanks! I wish I could claim the bunny or the picture. My current dogs would probably eat any bunny I adopted ): I haven't been able to have a bunny for about 10 years. I found the cute picture on a google search.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:

This, also eat clean and get enough protein to repair the good damage you're doing during your workouts. Nutrition is 60-70% of the battle IMHO.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
My list of suggestions that helped me lose weight (being a raw vegan was the main reason for my weightloss, but I was losing weight even as a 'cooked vegan' after many unsuccessful years):

1) Drink lots of water, be mindful of 'liquid calories.'
2) When exercising, stay in your target heart rate as LONG AS YOU CAN. Then you are in prime fat burning mode. There are heart rate monitors on equipment at most gyms or you can purchase your own mini one

3) Eat a lot of fresh, raw, produce during the day.
4) Limit your grains and track your calories. Many vegans eat too many grains and they really boost your daily calorie count.
5) Avoid processed foods, learn to eat simply.
6) Focus on HEALTH and not weight loss. Weight loss will happen.
7) Don't weigh yourself daily! do it weekly or monthly and don't get discouraged.

If you ever need help or encouragement, PM me!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

Not necessarily less, so much as better. Other than that I agree 100%

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

The the OP, I can tell you only what worked for me...

I January, I was 245 lbs. I didn't like this, so one day, I simply put on some shorts and a t-shirt and went for a jog.

My first jog was around 300 yards. At best. Red face, hard breathing, "this is a terrible idea", a little vomiting...

Fast forwar 6 months after almost completely cutting out white bread, potatoes and other "heavy" foods, I have now reached a point where I can run a half-marathon trail run.

The weight is now falling off by itself. Some weeks I don't run at all and the weight is still dropping.

Like someone else said, ust eat healthy and keep active. I don't use gyms - I consider them a scam - if the goal is weight loss and stamina.

Lots of greens, lots of fluids and some jogging.

I have in that time shed around 45 pounds simply by running one or twice a week and steadily increasing my distances.
This is all outstanding advice.

I dropped 35 pounds in two months while in the middle east simply by cutting glutens out of my diet and it was too damn hot outside so I stayed in and wasn't exercising.

The decision to cut glutens out of my diet wasn't due to me being Celiac or anything like that, but I read a guest blog post by nutritionist Robb Wolf on Tim Ferriss's Four Hour Work Week blog, and it got me to thinking about just how much human beings really don't need grains.

OP: What is your currently diet routine like? If you track your exact food intake for a week or two on FitDay.com you may surprise yourself with what you see.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
^^^ it took some googling and then some searching on his site, but I found the post....That Robb guy had me lost, although I saved the article to go through again. He says not to eat grains, legumes, or dairy and including quinoa......not sure if I buy into his info.

I understand he's a biochemist or whatever and all, but c'mon, make the article understandable and believeable! I would like to know for non celiacs what the deal with grains really is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with "fewer calories in, more energy out." I cannot lose weight any other way, not and keep it off. As I get older, that gets more difficult as well. I tried Curves for a while and while it has value for many people, I needed more to keep me interested. I worked out in a gym for a couple of years, which I enjoyed, but now I find that doing yoga and walking help me quite a bit. Good luck with your weight loss!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts