VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only became vegan three months ago after being veg for 9 months, so my upcoming trip to Montreal will be my first vegan vacation. What do I do? I want to bring some of my own food but there won't be a fridge in the room, and I won't be able to cook. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to travel vegan on a very low budget?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
valerie:

you'll very likely be able to find vegetarian restaurants in the area, and order vegetarian food where ever you go.

otherwise, take breads, nut butters, jellies, and buy lots of fresh produce where ever you go.

when my husband and i went to denmark, it was easy to be veggie. it probably would have been ok to be vegan had i brought some nut butters with me--but i didn't feel like carrying it, and i'm ok with going with that flow (besides, i'm not vegan anymore anyway.
).

But, they're easy to carry, as are dried fruits and berries, nuts and seeds.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Zoebird, bags of nuts and seeds are terrific travel food. You can get plenty of veggies and fruits at markets, and Montreal probably has some amazing food anyway (never been but I've heard it's supposed to be fantastic). Dried apples are one of my favorite things to travel with.

Also, you could make some falafel patties, as well as Nature's Burgers (Fantastic Foods product) to take along for the first couple of days. That stuff lasts if not refridgerated and is pretty good at room temp.

·
Registered
180 Posts
hey if you go to www.happycow.net and then into north america, canada, quebec and then finally montreal.

It will give you a listing of veg restaurants and health food stores. There are quite a few in Montreal.

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Montreal is easy to be vegan in, and not only that, get this... they have strawberry soymilk in the grocery stores there! And other flavors we can't get here!

When I went to Europe last year I brought a case of luna bars, and a bag of almonds, and two other bags of trailmixes. It was good to hold me over when I couldn't find anything else. (I suggest that instead of a case, you buy one of each flavor - it took me quite awhile to get used to Lemon Zest again after that trip!
)

Also, remember, you're in Canada, where everything is cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts