VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, please someone advise me on this.........<br><br><br><br>
I am an aspiring vegetarian - and my fiance is definately not. Anyone have experience raising kids in a family where one parent is Veggie and the other is not? Do you allow the child to eat from both persuasions until they are old enough to make their own decision?<br><br><br><br>
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me on this!!!

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I have been thinking of this a lot lately. I have recently made the decision to move toward becoming a vegetarian. I only cook veggie meals and my kids haven't even realised that a change has been made. However, they are talking about this summer and grilling and they don't mean eggplant. I want to have a talk with them but am having a hard time saying some of the words. I don't want to scare them, but somehow they need to know where their food comes from. I hate to make them feel the sadness that I feel inside about it, but in the long run, it will be for the best.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
When I have children I intend to raise them vegetarian until they are old enough to decide for themselves if they would rather eat meat. If they do choose to eat meat, they won't be eating it in my house. My omni bf is ok with this choice and agreed that if we have kids they could be raised vegetarian. As it stands now, he eats vegetarian at home because I do all the food prep. When he's on his own (i.e. out with friends, lunches) he eats meat. He doesn't feel deprived.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My hubby is omni. My kids are 99% vegetarian. They will eat the occasional fried clam or chicken nugget, not much but on occasion<br><br>
I would never dream of getting into a mommy is right and daddy is wrong scenario with them, and thats exactly how it would appear if i started insisting they can never have certain things.<br><br>
i cook veggie at home, and my hubby is happy to eat this way because he realizes it is better for him, he will occasionally eat fish or chicken when we eat out. so the kids see both. and like i said for the most part they follow my eating. but because daddy is omni and mommy is veg i would never pit one eating style against the other. he is their dad and i would never say anything about the way he eats to them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am with rabid child and bonoluvr... same at our house.<br><br><br><br>
I must say though that because I always explained things to my kid, it was all a lot easier. If I hadn't, she would just have been "why?" all the time... esp. when comparing with little friends at school etc... I presented the whole concept as a moral choice and told her that "we prefer"... she does sometimes tel her dad it's not nice to eat animals but he's rather good natured about it, says he doesn't do it often and that she is making a good choice etc.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yes, my 6 yo has asked me......"mommy how do they make chicken?".....so I take those opportunities to tell her how those foods come to the table. I don't get graphic, i think that would be in appropriate for a little kid, but i do tell her a chicken dies. and she will say ok....she goes back and forth between not wanting to eat it, and eating it, and its probably because she sees her daddy eating chicken on occasion, but I never describe meat eating as "bad" or evil or anything like that. She loves animals and I suspect as she grows she will make the choice to be all the way veg.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
my household is a bit different than others describe in that meat is cooked in the home for my husband by me and by him. he'll eat vegetarian meals, but more often than not, our meals are a vegetarian base plus meat for him.<br><br><br><br>
also, we do not have children.<br><br><br><br>
right now, our process is to start them out as vegetarian, and allow them to try things as they would like.<br><br><br><br>
neither of us are morally opposed to killing animals for food, but one must be conscientious about it. so, our emphasis is on conscientiousness. this is basicly a universal principle. as soon as the child can apply that principle to dietary aspects, then s/he can make his/her own decision about it. but in the early, pre-rational/pre-verbal stages, 'tasting' or 'trying' will be ok.<br><br><br><br>
i find, btw, that many kids are sort of 'naturally vegetarian.' many of my friends with babies and toddlers come to me complaining "my child won't eat chicken/beef/pork/whatever--what do i do?" and so i suggest a vegetarian cookbook for young children (very healthy, nutrient rich foods), and then the kids eat and eat and eat. one of my friends is omnivore--as is her husband--but her daughter (4) is vegetarian and has been for 2 years. it's pretty cool. she just did this naturally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts