VeggieBoards banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so, of course it has to be vegan. I have a bunch of braeburn apples and navel oranges that I was hoping to use up. Any ideas of what else I can put in it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Why don't you cut the fruit up into wedges, and toss it with some baby greens, maybe some radicchio, toasted walnuts or pecans, and dried cranberries? Add a vinaigrette of your choice and you're good to go.<br><br><br><br>
YUM!

·
Registered
0 Posts
how about this...<br><br><br><br>
Beet Orange Apple Salad<br><br><br><br>
Ingredients<br><br>
1 1/2 pounds fresh beets with greens (about 1 bunch)<br><br>
1 large orange<br><br>
2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled and thinly sliced<br><br>
2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted<br><br>
1 tablespoon olive oil<br><br>
1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar<br><br>
1/2 teaspoon sugar<br><br>
1/4 teaspoon salt<br><br>
1 clove garlic, minced<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Directions<br><br><br><br>
1)Coarsely shred beet greens to measure 2 cups. Set aside. Leave root and 1" of stem on 2 beets reserving remaining beets for another time.<br><br><br><br>
2)Scrub with a brush and set aside. Place beets in a small saucepan and add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool.<br><br><br><br>
3)Trim off beet stems and roots and rub off skins.<br><br><br><br>
4)Cut each beet into 8 wedges. Set aside.<br><br><br><br>
5)Peel and section orange over a medium bowl, reserving juice and membranes; set sections aside. Squeeze membranes over bowl to extract juice. Discard membranes.<br><br><br><br>
6)Add orange sections, beets and apples. Toss gently and set aside.<br><br><br><br>
7)Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic in a jar. Cover and pour over beet mixture. Toss well.<br><br><br><br>
8)Arrange 1/2 cup of shredded beet greens on each of 4 salad plates. Top with beet mixture; sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts