VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a huge fennel bulb and a few limes in my fridge that have to be used up before they go bad. But I have NO idea what to do with fennel. I bought them for my boyfriend, who was going to make a chicken dish with them, but he never got around to it. I obviously won't be making a chicken dish with them.

So does anyone have any ideas?

The limes are easy to use, but I'm stumped by the fennel. I've never cooked with it before.

Cheers,

R

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Roast Fennel & Tomato Soup

1 bulb fennel, thickly sliced

6oz cherry tomatoes

1 carrot, chopped

1tbsp olive oil

2 cloves garlic, peeled

1tsp rosemary

1 bayleaf

11/2 pints veggie stock

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Chop up fennel & place in baking dish with the tomatoes, garlic & carrot. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the vegetables and roast at 180C / 350C for an hour or until soft.

Tranfer ingredients to a saucepan & add stock, balsamic vinegar & herbs. Simmer for 10 mins.

Take off the heat, remove bay leaf & liquidize in a blender. Season to taste. Pass through a fine sieve.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Italian Autumn Casserole

1 fennel bulb, tough outside leaves removed

1/2 red pepper, chopped into chunks

175ml/6floz extra virgin olive oil

1 x 400g/14oz tin of chopped tomatoes

1 400g/14oz tin of cannelini beans, drained & rinsed

1 head of garlic, split into cloves and peeled

125ml/4floz dry white wine

30g/2tbsp chopped oregano leaves

24 black olives, stoned and cut in half

30ml/2tbsp balsamic vinegar

12 fresh basil leaves

salt and freshly ground black pepper

150ml/¼pt boiling water

Method

Preheat the oven to 160C/315F/Gas3.Cut the fennel lengthways into quarters.

Heat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan and add the fennel. Cook the fennel over a medium heat, turning frequently, for 20 minutes or until starting to brown. Halfway through cooking the fennel add the chunks of red pepper. Add the tomatoes, garlic, boiling water, wine, oregano, beans, balsamic vinegar and some black pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 1½ hours.

Remove the pan from the oven and add the olives and basil leaves.

Serve with crusty bread.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Fennel's also good eaten raw like celery. I love it that way. I also like fennel in a fruit salad. You could squeeze the lime over the salad. I think fennel compliments grapes well. Fennel is supposed to compliment oranges well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You could always veg*n-ize the chicken dish your boyfriend was going to make using a vegetarian "chicken" product and whatever other substitutions applicable. Then if it comes out great, you can share it with him and show him how nice the veggie version can be, and done that way you can enjoy it to!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Slice it up rather thickly, toss with olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and herbs..(great to do a mix of other veggies as well) roast in a hot oven, 450 degrees or so till golden brownish and tender.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas!

I'm going to roast half of it and eat half of it raw...that way I can eat it without having to go to the grocery store to get more ingredients.

If I like it, I'll add it to my weekly list!

Cheers,

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts