VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am really wanting to give the vegan way of eating a shot because of health reasons and wanting to be kinder to the animals. I had huge success last week, as I am trying to clear up some stomach issues and a bad flare up of psoriasis (strict diet helped then had a slip-up and I think it's a possible dairy or wheat issue)...I want to get back to vegan eating, or at least as close to it as possible until I can get all the information I need on how to do it right.

I have a wonderful guy who is supportive of my choices (he isn't totally crazy about the whole vegan thing, mainly because he worries about not getting all my nutrients and protein), and he doesn't quite know all the ins and outs. well yesterday he made a special trip to the store which is out of the way cuz we are in the country, so he could get me some fresh fruit and veggies, and other fresh, natural things to eat.
Well, he made a little mistake and bought tuna and some organic mayo that he thought was vegetarian and some sunflower loaf (which is vegan, gluten-free, and yummy!) and made me a special tuna salad sandwich so I had some variety. I was so touched and he was so proud of himself, I did eat it cuz I didnt want to hurt his feelings! I did explain however, that a vegan diet doesn't include any eggs or fish (he honestly didn't know) and I told him that I want to eliminate these things from my diet as well as the other meat and dairy. Now he knows. He loves to cook and make meals for everyone, and doesn't even mind having to make a couple different things, so my question is:
are there any substitutes for tuna or egg salad we could make? good fish or egg substitutes in general so he can still cook for me and we can make stuff that I can have that is vegan? I don't want to lose his support and would also like to open his eyes to the variety you can really have without a meat-based diet....
Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard of the veganaise. and although our one big store near us has a fantastic spread of veggie and vegan options mayo isnt one of them. is there a way that i can just make some?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOnThePorch View Post

I have heard of the veganaise. and although our one big store near us has a fantastic spread of veggie and vegan options mayo isnt one of them. is there a way that i can just make some?
you can make it, when i make things that use mayo i just use olive oil and vinegar instead, its not creamy like mayo but it holds things together like this chickpea spread.

also you can easily order some online from stores like this: http://www.veganstore.com/category/s?keyword=mayo

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Braggs has a kelp powder I've heard has a fishy taste, they'll send you a sample pack from their website of their various products.
Old Bay Seasoning is what I like 'cause I don't want the fishy taste, just that type of seasonings.
If you find fat free mayo (or salad dressing) check the ingrediants-it may be vegan. Trader Joes has a fat free mayo that's vegan, I've never checked any others. Veganaise is really good- expensive though- I love the grapeseed oil one. I did make my own with soymilk, oil, and lemon juice n a blender. It worked well, but use a light oil like canola-I used olive oil and that was nasty, but the consistency was good. I need to try again because it was really cheap.
I like any beans mashed as a sandwich spread with garlic, onion, relish. Extra firm tofu is good too, with dressing, herbs and lemon juice.

Goldmans_dancings link is the mayo I've made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts