VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
so i am back at college and realizing how very alone i feel here without knowing any other veg*ns. i was wondering if there were others on this webboard that went to creighton university?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wow....I leave for awhile and now that I am back, so many Nebraskans. Yay! For awhile I thought we were pretty few and far between.

·
Registered
72 Posts
so how is everyone doing? no one has posted here in a while, wanted to make sure everyone was alright. so yeah....hi everyone

·
Registered
72 Posts
it is going pretty welll. i shall not be in omaha for much longer though. next semester i am going to be studying in spain. i am extremely excited!!

how is everyone else doing? anything or noteworthy going on?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Going to Spain, eh? That's awesome. Skylark is in Spain right now--you should email/PM her.

Only thing going on right now is that I'm trying to stay warm. Brrrr!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Nobody's posted here for a while, but just thought I'd say I'm originally from Lincoln, NE. Had lived there basically my whole life till 6 months ago when I moved to WV. (why WV I'll never know...)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey all!
I live on a horse farm north of Colon, NE... (for those of you who have not a clue where that is, it's a few miles north of Wahoo, between Omaha and Lincoln)

Sucks there arent more veg places here in NE (or... more stuff in general). I love the Wild Oats Market, though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post

Nebraska..... that is the BEST name, I love it. About 6 or 7 years ago I talked on the phone to a girl in Nebraska.
That's funny... several years ago I talked w/a girl from Austraila on the phone. LOL... Tanya, I think the name was (??? can't quite remember)... but she was from Queensland, I think... funny, though!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi there everyone! I'm a Kearney vegan. People out here don't even know what the hell a Vegan is. My husband and I made the switch a few months ago. His mom FREAKED out, you know, he's just got to have beef or he'll waste away and die. It's great that I found this forum because I was feeling like the only vegetarian in Nebraska.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow, its been awhile since anyone posted. thought i would remedy that.

my beau and i live in omaha, full vegans. by the way Jane's moved to rockbrook, but McFoster's and Wild Oats still are the biggest veg places around. i know several other veg*ns in town and have been getting less blank stares as response to the word vegan, we are moving up in the world.

does Lincoln have any veg restaurants by the way?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, I am currently living in the panhandle as well, although we are planning a move to Georgia within a year or so. Mostly because I am tired of my children having to deal with people's backwards well...you know...attitudes about veganism, animal rights, etc here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hmm.. get away from backwards people living in Nebraska and move to Georgia.. won't it kinda be similar there? If you really want people to accept your veganism, move to Seattle or New York or something. By the way, I live in Lincoln, and sure, there are some backwards people who think I'm crazy, but there are also plenty, like the people I work with, who are totally cool about it, and highly interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah Lincoln is a world away from where I am in Nebraska (like 8 hours). There are no other vegs in or around where I am (except for religious reasons).

Moving to Georgia... actually Athens was named one of the top 10 vegetarian/animal friendly cities in America. Atlanta was just recently on a top ten list for the same basic reason ( I believe top veg restaraunts). That's why we are going that way. We really did our research and found an area that offered our whole family a place to belong.

I am from NY and don't want to go back to the cold if I am leaving here. Heading south for sure!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi, I live right across the river from Omaha in Council Bluffs. I think they have a more moderate approach to Vegitarianism here. I know a few on my street alone. It is only a small minority, but more and more people are going towards organics at least. Most are Vegitarian not Vegan, usually Lacto-ovo, so they have more choices. Many also don't broadcast their choices or belong to clubs or write on boards. Every grocery store I've been in (except for tiny family owned ones) has a small refrigerator section devoted to meat analogues (some better than others)-- Many have health food sections (even the no-frills). There is a great Indian Market, several oriental markets and other ethnic markets where you can get a large variety of vegitarian food. I think a lot of people are truly interested and open to at least being part time Vegitarians-- Then there is the Meat Culture which this town was born on. Well, we cant have it all.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.