VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ex-wife, along with 200+ other people, was granted U.S. citizenship today. The last step was to attend a naturalization ceremony. Note that prior to reaching this point they had to take not only a civics test (that most Americans probably wouldn't have passed) but a simple English test as well, which included spelling.

LL

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I'm never sure if I should laugh or cry at things like this.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone View Post

I don't know whether to
or

ETA: Oh my. How redundant of me.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Werez spel chek wen u rely nead it.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Well, there is the possibility that someone switched the letters though.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneet View Post

A lot of people can't spell properly, whether they are native English speakers or not.
How about when a room full of non-native English speakers spell better than people setting up signs at the US consulate

A simple mistake, sure, but the atmosphere of the ceremony made it more amusing. They all had to say the Pledge of Allegiance one by one, then they had to listen to the song "Proud to be an American," so much effort into making this ceremony into a serious event, yet they neglected to have correct spelling on the welcome sign. And again there's the irony of the fact that they sgml had to take that spelling test prior to being approved and getting to the naturalization ceremony portion of the process. It just seemed... cheesy I guess. Such a small, easily avoided mistake that every one of those 200+ new US citizens will joke about every time they recall the event.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'll bet it confuses them when they have to learn portions of the Bill of Rights including the Separation Clause and then have to sit through a song that proclaims "God bless the USA".

Or maybe that's something only certain people notice in hindsight, like when a bunch of omnis sit down to Christmas dinner and someone proclaims "Peace on Earth" and then everyone starts chowing down on corpses.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I'll bet it confuses them when they have to learn portions of the Bill of Rights including the Separation Clause and then have to sit through a song that proclaims "God bless the USA".

Or maybe that's something only certain people notice in hindsight, like when a bunch of omnis sit down to Christmas dinner and someone proclaims "Peace on Earth" and then everyone starts chowing down on corpses.
Yeah I'm one of those nerds that pays attention to things like that. I heard five mentions, with one of them being optional. Three during the song, one during the Pledge of Allegiance, and one optional "so help me God" during the Oath of Citizenship, which every one of them said rather than being the one guy who didn't. If anyone is curious, here it is

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Now, in reality, the "entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen" portion is not universally enforced. I will actually be applying for Canadian citizenship pretty soon, but will not be required to renounce my U.S. citizenship (nor would a Canadian be required to renounce his or her citizenship if it were the other way around). In fact, I am still in the Army on drill status and will be continuing to drive across the border every month to train for the next three years (or until they give me a medical discharge since they don't want me to deploy anymore). My ex-wife, however, being Chinese, will in fact have to give up her Chinese citizenship, which she is seriously stressing about. For her, weighing the pros and cons of applying for citizenship proved to be much more difficult than it was for many of the people there, and she changed her mind several times before actually doing it. Ironically, the deciding factor was that she too does a bit of work in Canada, and frequent transit between the U.S. and Canada is much less problematic with a U.S. passport than it is with a green card. And if she does decide to go back to China, a U.S. passport is still a valuable addition to her resume because it means, unlike Chinese citizens, she can freely travel the world with relative ease, while most Chinese business travelers can have up to a 6 month or longer visa application process every time they want to go on a trip while it takes a matter of days for a U.S. citizen.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Oh... that's awful. There are a lot of really bad spellers out there though. I'm always amazed that they are in positions that actually require written communication.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Government- "Я"- US

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Just looks to me like some wanker rearranged the letters real quick so they could take a LOLZ picture for the net.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Just looks to me like some wanker rearranged the letters real quick so they could take a LOLZ picture for the net.
I wish that were true, and that would have been my first guess, unfortunately this was not pulled from the internet. My sister took it when she brought my ex-wife in for her swearing in yesterday.

I'm much less critical when I come across this kind of thing overseas

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Doesn't surprise me in the least. I see regular abuse of the English language in spelling, grammar and punctuation all the time, everywhere.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have no doubt that this kinda thing happens all the time, in every country, but it's pretty obvious from the pic that this one was staged.

USA-bashing went out of fashion a few years a go I think.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I wish that were true, and that would have been my first guess, unfortunately this was not pulled from the internet. My sister took it when she brought my ex-wife in for her swearing in yesterday.

I'm much less critical when I come across this kind of thing overseas
Well, that doesn't meant that no one tampered with the letters though.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

USA-bashing went out of fashion a few years a go I think.
I can't seem to find my bad English pictures from China though. I had one of a sign in a hotel room that said "please continue smoke in bed" (in Chinese it said not to), and another one at a beach that said "no feudalism allowed" (no fighting in Chinese).

I also saw a few shirts in the US with Chinese writing that, directly translated, would have meant "I like pretty girls," but if you understood Chinese slang it actually meant "I like to molest little girls." Whoever managed to con some naive businessman into distributing that was a genius.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts