VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to consume as little eggs as possible and I always choose organic free range ones. (Even if I know it's not the best choice!) I am also trying to wean off cow milk.

However, if I'm able to find all sorts of soy products around here, there doesn't seem to be lots of options for egg replacement! Not even eggbeaters... So, i wanted to know what were the natural options that I could use in baking or as a binder in faux meatloaf and veggie patties.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Eggbeaters aren't vegan I don't think. They're just the eggwhite with some artificial colouring and stuff added to them (but I could be wrong, we have something similar here in Aus called Scramblers). It depends on what you want to bind. Banana's work great if you are baking muffins or a cake. Orgran make an egg replacer but I think you guys have one called EnerG egg replacer. It's just some type of thickening flour like tapioca starch.

You can also use flax seeds (try googling Flax Seed Eggs) and it will bring up heaps about it (I just use a boxed thingy but I've heard good stuff about the flax eggs) and it will tell you how much to use and what to do

As for veggie patties, usually using smooshed white beans or mashed potato or sweet potato keeps it all together and if not quite there I just throw in a tsp of arrowroot or corn starch to help it along .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know eggbeaters weren't vegan but since we don't have them anyway... I'm in Europe and we have less vegan stuff available, we have to make it all from scratch! I've bought some arrow-root so I will see what I can do with that. I love the idea of using flax seeds, they are so healthy (yet loaded in calories, I know)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've used almond or peanut butter, tomato paste and cornstarch or rice flour to bind "burgers" in the past. I bet chickpea flour would do the trick too. I'm a proponent of the "mix together some ingredients and if it's too crumbly, try adding another ingredient" strategy...

·
Registered
800 Posts
You can make a lot of baking stuff without eggs, for many recipes they're not essential even if people think they are! For making chocolate cake I just put a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in the mixture - I mix it with a few tablespoons of soya milk and add it to the mixture right at the end just before it goes in the oven. I've made cookies using silken tofu instead of eggs and I've also seen banana used as a binder in some cake recipes.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You don't actually need any kind of egg replacement or suppliment when baking. It's just a matter of getting consistancies right, adding more liquid and ensuring mixtures are well mixed. I have never once in my near 4 years of veganism used an egg replacement as such, just play around with ingredients. Dependant on the recipe or whatever it is i'm concoting I tend to use banana, silken tofu or just extra milk/water/juice to help bind mixtures, there is no need for comercial egg replacers or really anything other than what you have hanging around the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts