VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know of a website that sells natural peanut butter in large quantities? i currently buy it in 16oz jars at the grocery store for $1.99. we go through it so quickly that i was hoping to find it for the same price or less but in larger quantities. i did find 5lb tubs of it on some website--but it was ridiculously expensive. i would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
16oz @ 1.99 seems fair to me.

If you get it mail order there is shipping charge to deal with as well..... the deal your getting might be the best one.

Have you ever tried making your own?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If you get it at a health food store bulk section where they have their own nut grinder, you can buy large amounts of it for less money than pre-packaged...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you know, i thought it would be cheaper to grind it at the hfs, however it costs more!!!

dvmarie--1.99 is a good deal in my opinion, however i use so much of it a one pound jar does not last long, so i was just hoping to find a larger tub of it. i do not want the hassle of doing it myself, plus the whole peanuts often cost the same or more than the 1.99 i pay!!! ah well--maybe i should market it in larger tubs for all the nuts that use it as much as i do!!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You could try making it? I'm sure there must be a way, and I've been thinking about trying it myself.

(we also go through a lot of peanut butter)

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
0 Posts
most health food stores and even the better grocery stores in my area have a machine that makes it from just peanuts, you bring your own container and dispense it yourself. thats always fun.

the Costco near me sells marantha organic pb in giant jars (25oz i think) for less than 5 bucks, i dont remember exactly how much but i know the last time i bought it all i had was a 5 dollar bill on me so it was less than that haha.

about making it yourself, in toys r' us in the same section as the snoopy sno cone maker and easy bake ovens, theres a peanut butter maker, its cheap and cheesy looking but it works, i had one a few years ago, its kind of a messy pain though but its fun.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Secura - Maranatha jars of PB at Costco?!?!?!? Geeze! I'm gonna have to try driving across that bridge more often to our local (but not from where I live) Costco. It might even make the trip worth the while. ('specially for peanut butter.....yummmmm
)

I get the Adam's brand from the stores. Where we live, it's not that bad in price although I've had people say that it's super $$$$. Well, what can one expect? I live in nothing and nowhere's ville and this is better than that chemmie-infested [email protected] that the stores sell, so I deal (actually, I pull some budget money out of omni-Hub's "want list" so that we both can have the good PB but that's another thread to contribute to....
).

When Mother and the fam were visiting us last year, she told me she hated my PB....she said it tasted "funny". You should have seen her face when I told her that PB was supposed to taste like that and not like a chem-infested, peanut-flavoured [email protected] that she was so used to! Hmmmm......maybe that's why she doesn't want to visit me this year and risk eating my food...

No sense of adventure, I say...

·
Registered
0 Posts
DeeYahMK, where do you live? I got the maranthas at the one downtown, i think on harrison. that place is the best, they always seem to have health food store type stuff.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Smedley: What do use all this peanut butter for (if you don't mind me asking). I use a fair amount for making FauxCheez and sauces, but I'm always looking for ideas. I love the smell of peanut butter!!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dvmarie--i have a husabnd and three year old twins. a frequent breakfast is oatmeal with peanut butter mixed in--huge favorite here. i also mix the peanut butter with natural applesauce and wheat germ and use it as a spread on french toast as opposed to a sugary syrup or something--the kids love it. i also use it as a sandwich spread--i always mix it beacuse the kids would pick the sandwich apart and end up eating either pb or the applesauce side. if i mix it they eat it all!! when i serve applesauce i stir some in as well. it is just a great source of fat and calories for the kids--i just love it!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I love peanut butter, but recently I read that large amounts of it, over a long period of time, is very unhealthy. not because of the fat, but because of a certain kind of mold that grows only on peanuts, and no matter how the peanuts are processed, the mold does not seperate from them.

And this particular mold was shown to cause cancer in animal testing, like, 9 out of 10 tests!

So, I have switched to roasted almond butter, which i love just as much. i use that on toast instead.

I still use pb in cooking. i just try not to eat it as much.

has anybody else read that about peanut butter???? I don't remember where I read it!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AARGH!!!! i did go to weils website, i hate learning stuff that taints my world!!! i do love almond butter, however it is more expensive. i could make myself feel better by the knowledge that i really do not eat much pb at all--however i am feeding it to my family, so the consolation is little!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for the article link! and the website!

I was bummed to read that the highest levels of the fungus were in health food store fresh ground peanut butter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts