VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When things say that they have natural and/or artificial flavorings, does that mean there is or might be meat or an animal product in it? Like, I was reading ingrediants on a popcorn box and it said bla dee bla... natural flavorings... Does that mean they put meat products in it?

*lost*

·
Registered
787 Posts
You can't really tell unless you contact the company that makes it.

Some 'flavours'- milk/egg/soy derived mostly, which are major allergens, will have a 'may contain ____' note.

EDIT: But for microwave popcorn: just put 1/4-1/3 cup popcorn kernels in a bag and microwave until it slows down popping (~1:50)! All popcorn is microwaveable
Just add margarine and whatever else you like on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just read an article that said companies don't have to list some ingredients that may fall under "artificial flavorings/colors", and that they don't have to specify if it's from an animal source or not. For example, it said that some companies may use crushed beetle shells for coloring in products and that it can list it in the ingredients as "artificial color", etc. So I stay away from anything that doesn't specify where the flavorings or colors came from, or if I have contacted the company like Keelin suggested above. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Yup yup... It definetely could contain meat flavoring. Probably unlikely for popcorn, but you never know until you contact the company.

Personally I'm in the "don't ask, don't tell" boat for natural flavors. Once I know, like with McDonald's Fries, then I avoid it, but if I don't know then I naively assume it's safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I think I am going to cantact some companies. (probably not the popcorn one but some other ones) EW! What company uses beatle shells as coloring? I think I will mostly try to stay away from the whole artificial flavor thing.

I have a question about your signature quote CountryDreamer, when she says animals were not made for us, does that mean we should never have domesticated them or we should just not kill them? I mean, I have a horse and he has a great life, but he does have to work for a living. Is that quote saying that we shouldn't do that?

Thanks for your posts. =)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover Pony View Post

I have a question about your signature quote CountryDreamer, when she says animals were not made for us, does that mean we should never have domesticated them or we should just not kill them? I mean, I have a horse and he has a great life, but he does have to work for a living. Is that quote saying that we shouldn't do that?

Thanks for your posts. =)
I like her quote
It makes me think of a guy at work who said "god put animals on earth for us to eat, it says so in the bible, to be vegan makes you a heathen denying the gifts that god gave you. don't forget it was the devil who gave the apple to eve!!!!" I don't think I will associate with him anymore >_<

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post

I like her quote
It makes me think of a guy at work who said "god put animals on earth for us to eat, it says so in the bible, to be vegan makes you a heathen denying the gifts that god gave you. don't forget it was the devil who gave the apple to eve!!!!" I don't think I will associate with him anymore >_<
I would like to know where in tbe bible that guy you work with got that quote,maybe you can give his this one,

Genesis

1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post

I would like to know where in tbe bible that guy you work with got that quote,maybe you can give his this one,

Genesis

1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Ooooooh very nice but I don't think I'll sink to his level. I let others have their opinions, but I don't have to put up with them once I find out where they stand >_<

·
Registered
160 Posts
Clover Pony,

I can't be positive what the writer of the signature quote I have means, but I take it as meaning that animals were not put on earth for us to eat or use cruelly, such as for our entertainment (rodeos, circuses, etc.) I see where you're coming from though, I just had never thought about it that way. But I don't want that quote to portray that I think animals should have never been domesticated, etc, just that I don't think people should view them as objects that are at their disposal and live only for the purpose of humans.

I love your signature quote by the way! (I hope to rescue horses one day.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, my horse (Jack) is actually a rescue horse, he was abused and starved and has had a miraculous recovery. He's a very happy pony now.

And about the fish in the popcorn thing, EW! That just totally ruined movie popcorn and microwave popcorn alike. All my popcorn will be homemade from now on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.