VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many don't wear make up, but for those of you who do:

Good vegan mascara is often cited by vegans as the hardest cosmetic to find. I've been using Natio mascara for a long time - believing it to be vegan - then I read on a forum (not VB) that it isn't vegan. I was extremely surprised so I looked on the Natio website and their FAQ section is vague when it comes to their vegan products. They say that many of their lip products aren't vegan, but their colour range is. They also state that if people are unsure they should just check the ingredients list next to each product on the website. Well I did that, and you would honestly need a science degree to know what most of the ingredients are. I am annoyed that they just can't be more clear about it.

Anyway, I emailed them and this is their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Natio is always striving to produce the very best quality products for our customers and feedback such as yours helps us in this process.

As detailed in the FAQ section of our website, Natio's skincare range is free of animal by-products. Some of our lip colour products contain lanolin and beeswax, and the Lip Colour in Pretty contains carmine. The rest of our colour range, including the mascaras, is free from animal by-products.

All product ingredients are listed on our website. Simply look up the product and click the "All Ingredients" tab.

I trust this assists. Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for supporting Australian made products, which are not tested on animals.

Mod note: Contact info removed.

[/U]Anyway, I am glad for the response but surely they realise that ingredients lists aren't the ideal way for many people to confirm a product is vegan, particularly when the ingredients are obscure. I am relieved to know the mascaras are in fact vegan, as I had always thought they were (I have been using them for seven or more years - I started using them as I remember being told they were vegan).

I had vowed a long time ago not to believe claims about products written by others in forums or blogs without confirming it myself first. There is so much misinformation that people spread online - I have read many times where people say a product is vegan and then I go and check myself, and it isn't. So I guess the moral of the story is to check these things directly with the company!

[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susykat View Post

Good vegan mascara is often cited by vegans as the hardest cosmetic to find.
**** yeh!

Quote:
So I guess the moral of the story is to check these things directly with the company!
Most of the time I feel like we can trust them, but sometimes there are companies that are very economical with the truth, so no matter what assurances they give on websites or ingredient lists, I always research every single ingredient myself to make sure that it is what it says it is.

I don't use Natio mascara myself but I'm stoked for you that you've found one that you like, cos I know it can be a real p.i.t.a to get a good one that's vegan.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Urban Decay has vegan mascara. Also you guys can check out manic panic, a great fun vegan company!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Urban Decay doesn't have vegan mascara on their "Vegan" list of products: http://www.urbandecay.com/vegan.cfm
Well, they have a false lash mascara there, but that doesn't count! Were you referring to any particular mascara NAGEV? I have a bad feeling most of their mascaras have beeswax in them
I will have to check out Manic Panic! Thanks for the tip.

Honey Bee - I have been using Natio's Super Long Lash (brilliant!) for nights out and Extreme Volume for day. Only problem with Super Long Lash it is impossible to get off!!! I find most of their mascaras a bit hard to remove actually, even with their own Eye Make Up Remover!

I recently ordered a Barry M 3 in 1 mascara on Ebay - it is a UK brand, and many of their products are vegan! Was so cheap - $12 & that's including postage. Will let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Quote:

Urban Decay doesn't have vegan mascara on their "Vegan" list of products: http://www.urbandecay.com/vegan.cfm
lol woops! i thought that their lush lash system was a mascara.
If you do find a great one please do tell, I'm currently still using my mascara from before I was vegan but I hate it and would love to replace it!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:

I recently ordered a Barry M 3 in 1 mascara on Ebay - it is a UK brand, and many of their products are vegan! Was so cheap - $12 & that's including postage. Will let you know how it goes!
Jeez, you little bargain hunter! I don't think you can buy a mascara from within Australia for 12 bucks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honey Bee - I also get Natio mascara from Myer. Some chemists in Sydney have it as well.
NAGEV - will let you know how the Barry M ones goes!
Nishani - yeah I was shocked when I saw how cheap it was - apparently it retails for about $6-$8 in the UK! If I like it I will continue to buy it because it is so cheap and more importantly, vegan!

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
The stearic acid might be the ingredient that the other forum is referencing when they say it's not vegan? It can be animal or vegetable derived, and not all companies even know which it is in their product.

Also, reading this thread made me find out the AUD is more than the USD. Last time I checked it was $1 AUD to $.70 USD (or somewhere around there). I want to try this mascara...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread.
I have been using natio for 5+ years and I always knew most of their products were vegan. I knew that their lip colours were not vegan and I was also told that their mascara was not vegan. Now I know better! (I'd been using the mascara anyway, because I couldn't find a vegan mascara in NZ, and I thought at least I'll be supporting a vegan-orientated company!).

·
Registered
547 Posts
I use Lavera mascara. They have a couple of different types, which I am not sure about all of them, but the one that comes in a skinny silver tube is vegan. I know that type comes in brown, black, and blue. I absolutely love the black one, it makes my eyelashes really long. I buy it at Target.

Ps. the reason I bought it was because it has the vegan sunflower symbol on the box, and I ended up loving it!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

The stearic acid might be the ingredient that the other forum is referencing when they say it's not vegan? It can be animal or vegetable derived, and not all companies even know which it is in their product.
The stearic issue was one of the reasons I stopped using this mascara a while back. A friend of mine wrote to them about it and their reply was sort of non-committal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts