VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i slave far too much and make way too little to waste my $$$$ on gross mock meats so I usually end up looking up TONS of reviews before buying a product.
A lot of the reviews were great, but some were EHHHH.

have you had them?
rate them on taste 1-5(five being amaziiing)
what kinda dish did you prepare them with?

THANKYOU

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think they are delicious, a 4. I eat them plain very often. Of course they are great in pasta. I often find them super cheap at Grocery Outlet, if you have one you might check there.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
They are a 4.5 if you cook them right and cover them in really yummy sauce!

They are best when browned a bit in oil or a dry pan (turning frequently to not burn) and then covered in a rich sauce just before serving so they don't fall apart.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Meatless meatball pizzas are good too! I slice the meatballs in half, place on pizza crust with sauce and cover with Daiya. I don't care for the original flavor much, but I love the mushroom and Italian ones.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great!
thankyou everyone I'm def going to wholefoods after work and buying some. I'm pretty excited!

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
They are definitely about a 4.5. I can't taste the difference between the flavors, though. I bake them before putting them in spaghetti sauce. They also make slammin' meatball subs. They are worth the money.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would rate them a 3. Taste-wise they are great but I used to like to cook meatballs in the sauce to get some of the flavor into the sauce too and you can't with them otherwise they fall apart. They do hold together better than any other vegan meatball I've tried but they still don't hit the spot. I just need to maybe start trying to make my own or something. Taste-wise they are delicious!

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

I would rate them a 3. Taste-wise they are great but I used to like to cook meatballs in the sauce to get some of the flavor into the sauce too and you can't with them otherwise they fall apart. They do hold together better than any other vegan meatball I've tried but they still don't hit the spot. I just need to maybe start trying to make my own or something. Taste-wise they are delicious!
After cooking Nate's in the sauce the first time, I also noticed they didn't hold together well. Since then, I bake them and add them right at the end.

For what you want to do, I suggest using Match (name brand) faux meat. Uncooked, it is very easy to work with (it has the consistency of meat). You can add your own spices and when you cook them, they actually get firmer! Anyways, I wrote a review of them a couple months ago:

http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...%29-faux-meats

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I just found these at Mrs. Green's so I thought I would give them a try. I was pleasantly surprised! I tried one plain and I liked it so I cooked some in barbecue sauce. Yum! I rate them a 4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I heard about this. They used vegetables as an alternative for meat. Many people who tried this saying that the taste still the same, though, it is more healthier than the usual meat balls.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

After cooking Nate's in the sauce the first time, I also noticed they didn't hold together well. Since then, I bake them and add them right at the end.

For what you want to do, I suggest using Match (name brand) faux meat. Uncooked, it is very easy to work with (it has the consistency of meat). You can add your own spices and when you cook them, they actually get firmer! Anyways, I wrote a review of them a couple months ago:

http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...%29-faux-meats
I hadn't heard of Match, thanks! I'm going to order some and give it a try. According to their retail locations no one in my state carries them. Vegan spaghetti and meatballs is the one thing that I just haven't found to hit the spot yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really like them- in pasta, sandwiches, etc. If you buy them from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (I swear TJ's brand veggie meatballs are just repackaged Nate's) you can always return the product if you don't like it. Both stores are excellent about refunding your $ if you are dissatisfied (even if you eat it all- save the packaging) but I doubt you will be- they really are quite good.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah I basically LIVE off of these now!
i eat them plain, with sauce, in pasta dishes, in sandwiches...etc
SO YUMMY! and 3 for 90 cals SWEET

1 - 14 of 14 Posts