VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my friend sees this picture on the internet (don't ask how he found it...he just did), and he sends the link to me, curious, I look at the site. The picture is really disgusting, fyi.
Apparently this lady found a fried chicken head in her chicken nuggets...how can omnis see pictures like this and still eat the crap?!
His response to the picture to me? "It almost made me vegetarian...almost"

GAH!

fried chicken head picture...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but don't they see the connection?! fried chicken head = dead chicken...

gah, i don't understand how i was once like them...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbock View Post

but don't they see the connection?!
Oh, they see it all right. They just don't give a s**t.

Quote:
fried chicken head = dead chicken...
It would be even more disturbing if it wasn't.

Quote:
gah, i don't understand how i was once like them...
Just a guess but you were raised to believe there was nothing wrong with eating meat just like you probably believed in this handsome chap:

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Just a guess but you were raised to believe there was nothing wrong with eating meat just like you probably believed in this handsome chap:
Yeah, what the hell? I moved out 3 years ago and apparently he didn't get my new address cuz he quit coming.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

Yeah, what the hell? I moved out 3 years ago and apparently he didn't get my new address cuz he quit coming.
Send a letter addressed to SANTA, NORTHPOLE. and explain your plight.

if anything it gives the postal workers some reading material during break time.

actualy yeah make it kinky, give some people something to tell their friends. im sure sorting mail gets boring.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha, i tried that once...and gee, guess what! I got (some of) the stuff AND a letter back...he must have dictated to my mum though, it was her handwriting

---

yeah, I thought it was a hoax too...heck, i still do, but it still bothers me that he could look at it, and see the feathers and everything and just shrug...

maybe i'm just really sensitive to this 'cause of the whole vegetarian thing, and i'm around chickens all the time (I don't have them personally, but a friend does, and I travel to this quaint little rural areas where people have chickens running around all over the place)...

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think it's more sad than disgusting. If you guys have ever watched Supersize Me, you know how the McDonald's chicken nuggets are made. Ugh.

Not that the slaughter of "regular" chicken isn't any less barbaric.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I like it when people don't change their ideals simply because they saw a picture. It restores my views of human intelligence to a slightly more positive light.

·
Registered
329 Posts
ugh! I don't blame her, I would have sued too. That is absoloutly disgusting. Now, the people making the nuggets you would think they would have seen that head in there. They inspect those things pretty good for crying out loud.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

I like it when people don't change their ideals simply because they saw a picture. It restores my views of human intelligence to a slightly more positive light.
Really? I think people frequently can't envision how horrible some things are until they see a picture, say of animals being kept on a factory farm, or being slaughtered, or people in a concentration camp. In this case, with flesh, sometimes people don't really connect it to the whole animal - seeing a fried face might help to do that.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Roger Yates excelllent manuscript on animal welfare is important in this context:

Quotes:

"Thus, in the contemporary world of increasing and immediate access to a vast amount of 'information', Tester suggests that a strategy of 'moral indifference' has become an essential coping mechanism to enable individuals to deal with their new and rapidly increasing store of potentially painful and disturbing knowledge about the world. Therefore, what makes 'us' different from Alfred Weber is that we - unlike him - know exactly what to do with potentially painful knowledge: absolutely nothing (ibid.)"

"Cohen's (2001) work suggests that the portents are not good in relation to the aspirations of many social movement mobilisations. In three devastating pages, Cohen's account of denial supplements points already made. For example, he suggests that 'humanitarian organisations' represent 'living relics of Enlightenment faith in the power of knowledge: if only people knew, they would act' (ibid.: 185). And yet, paradoxically, are not these very same organisations in possession of evidence that this faith is, at best, 'misplaced'? Is it not the case that such a faith is undermined by their daily work? (ibid.) "

Yates, "THE SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION OF HUMAN BEINGS AND OTHER ANIMALS IN HUMAN-NONHUMAN RELATIONS." Online manuscript.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Really? I think people frequently can't envision how horrible some things are until they see a picture, say of animals being kept on a factory farm, or being slaughtered, or people in a concentration camp. In this case, with flesh, sometimes people don't really connect it to the whole animal - seeing a fried face might help to do that.
I really have no concern whatsoever for people who are too stupid to realize what they were eating, but apparently they care for it enough to stop eating it when they find out that chicken comes from chickens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts