VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've had this horrible headache off and on (usually on, though) for what seems like forever. My guess is that is has something to do with my diet in some way shape or form...is there any vitamins or such that a deficiency would result in a really bad headache?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I'm sure we're happy to help, but there are like 2346 things that could be causing this headache. The on and off part sounds a bit like cluster headaches.<br><br><br><br>
Is there some reason that you think your diet is to blame? That is, have you changed dietary habits recently.<br><br><br><br>
Best thing to do of course, call your doctor. Headaches can be (but aren't always) symptoms of more serious conditions. You might also consider keeping a log of:<br><br><br><br>
#1 What you are eating each day<br><br>
#2 How much, and when, you are sleeping<br><br>
#3 Any particular stresses and emotions you're experiencing<br><br>
#4 Details on the headaches: when they come on, how long they last, any treatment you use, and possible descriptions of the pain (is it sharp or dull, throbbing, on one side of the head, etc.)<br><br><br><br>
It sounds like a lot of work, but it may help you to pinpoint a cause.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, food allergies can be a cause of frequent headaches. I suffer from that. Read Heal Your Headache by David Buchholz, M.D. That's the Bible of headache prevention.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I haven't really changed my diet...but I just have a feeling that my diet isn't exactly optimal.<br><br>
As for what kind of headache...very sharp, kind of like an explosion is about to occur in my head...no fun. when do they happen? when i stand up, move quickly, bend over, look at light, move just my eyes too much...and sometimes when i'm just sitting listening to music or reading. how much do I sleep? that shouldn't be a factor as I've been getting headaches while i've been sleeping anywhere between 5 to 11 hours of sleep in a night. stresses and emotions? stress...well, that's how i live my life, so that shouldn't be it since i've lived with stress for so long without any adverse side-effects; emotions...a lot of worry and the blues...nothing too major. treatment? none...it never works long enough to make it worth it. oh...and the headaches tend to be toward the front of the head...like in the forehead area and around to above the ears, with exact placement varying.<br><br>
sorry...i know it's a general question...but i don't remember getting headaches this bad in...forever, and they're starting to really bother me, and as for seeing a doctor...well, if i can find a way of stopping or reducing them without a doctor, i'll be a very happy person...<br><br>
thanks for the kind reply,<br><br>
sb

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Do you consume a lot of caffeine? Or go through cycles where you have a lot, then drastically reduce, then have a lot, etc? Do you eat a lot of sugar? That can cause them. Also, if you're exposed to cigarette smoke, or pot smoke. Even if you can't smell it, there are people who get headaches.<br><br><br><br>
Drink more water, eat more (healthy foods, like fruits, vegetables and whole grains), and try to take some time out to relax in silence from time to time, even if it's only 5 minutes, to slow down for a while and do some deep breathing. That can help.<br><br><br><br>
Here's a trick you might want to try. You see the skin between your thumb and index? Doesn't matter which hand. Massage it gently with your other thumb and finger, at the thicker part. It's a pressure point, and helps sometimes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Not that I'm trying to freak you out or anything, but I know someone whose bad headaches ended in her being diagnosed with Leukaemia. It's an early symptom. So if you can't manage to sort them out within a reasonable time frame, definitely see a doctor...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey I just wanted to add that last year, I was getting constant headaches in my forhead or around my eyebrows, and at back of my neck...turns out I needed glasses for a slight astigmatism so really it was just eyestrain from driving and reading and general looking around at stuff haha. see an optometrist just in case

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was just going to say that myself positivemind! Yes, do go for regular eyechecks!<br><br><br><br>
Also, if you are looking at a computer a lot, that might well be the problem. Take regular breaks from staring at the screen to prevent eyestrain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts