VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
i'm gonna go for it this year, like every year. i have a good feeling about it this year. i usually give up shortly into it because my story's going nowhere. this year it doesn't matter if i write a bunch of crap because at least that's more than i've written in quite some time

i'm on the site under the same name as on this site. the forums there are always hella slow for me though

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Word count: 10:21am CST: 950 words!

I have no plot! But the story is just going to be.. odd. I decided to take dares from the dare threads and throw them into my book as my plot. So 1,000 words are dedicated to buying a lamp.. The characters are going to IKEA, which is 350 miles away to get a lamp. And they can't decide which lamp to get, so they get several. And... well. It's odd. But I can do it!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
i wish i hadn't thought so much about what my story's going to be like beforehand. i read a bit of the dare thread last night and some of them looked like they'd be really fun/funny, but it wouldn't really fit with what i'm going for. but i'm only 710 words into it, and so far it's just the main character's blah-blah-blah-ing, so i might even just end up scrapping that and going for something totally absurd *shrug*

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuko View Post

i wish i hadn't thought so much about what my story's going to be like beforehand. i read a bit of the dare thread last night and some of them looked like they'd be really fun/funny, but it wouldn't really fit with what i'm going for. but i'm only 710 words into it, and so far it's just the main character's blah-blah-blah-ing, so i might even just end up scrapping that and going for something totally absurd *shrug*
You could adjust your outline, maybe? Or have some things be in a dream sequence.

I wrote my outline a while ago, and now I don't like it.
So I'm making adjustments. So far today I have... about 700 words too, actually.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hmmm... have any of you participated in Power of the Pen? It's timed writing. The teacher gives students a topic to write about such as "A pyllic victory is when you win the battle but lose the war. Write about one" and they have thirty minutes to write.

Oh, it's just in Ohio. Never mind, then. Although, it would be interesting to develop a website that gives you a topic and then 30 minutes to type in the type field. Many online forms do this already.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Other NaNo writers - do you find yourself constantly counting your words out of paranoia (or to motivate yourself, perhaps), or do you try and avoid it so as not to worry yourself further?

I found I managed to avoid doing word counts every few minutes yesterday..

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

You could adjust your outline, maybe? Or have some things be in a dream sequence.
i don't really do outlines
i probably ought to more often.

i managed to get past the snag anyway. turns out this project isn't really adversely affected by jumping around the story and writing whatever scene i feel like and figuring out how to connect them later. i'm at 6500-something right now

i feel like i ought to have more now. i think i just don't really like most of my characters or this story that much. i really ought to just stick to writing fantasy... :/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts