VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago, I had a volunteer job. This was for a not-for-profit group whose function was to support independent living goals for disabled people, by doing information and referral, and benefits planning, and employment counseling. One of my duties was to enter names and addresses into an Excel spreadsheet. They had hired a Spanish-English-speaking person to reach out to the Spanish-speaking disabled. I entered lots of company names of companies listed in the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Then I showed the person in charge of the list, their bilingual counselor, how to do a MS Word Mail Merge, so she could print out envelopes, and put names and addresses onto letters. We set up the mail merge, and everything was ready to go - and then the head person says their are no funds for postage. Both of our work seems wasted doesn't it? It makes me not want to go back there.

The same thing with the computers that I checked out and assembled from cannibalized parts and installed windows 98 se operating systems on, presumably for free use by disabled people, who could come down there and use the computers. I don't know if they ever started letting people come down there and use their computers "when they moved into a larger space" - as they moved into a "temporary" smaller office -- and are still there.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just because they don't have funds now doesn't mean that they won't in the future. Also you have organized information they can use in the future and trained someone who can use those skills in the future. Hopefully they will do more with the products of your labor.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the person that I showed how to do a mailmerge can use that skill in the future, but not at the place where I volunteered. She was laid off. After making a big deal about offering English-Spanish bilingual services, they laid off the only English-Spanish bilingual person on the staff. Or she left, because she was just as unhappy of having her efforts go to waste as I am. I'm not sure which.

They no longer have a person of any Hispanic ethncity who can follow up on any mailings sent out to companies that they got from the Hispanic chamber of commerce mailing list. If they follow up, it will have to be with someone who neither speaks Spanish or has any Hispanic ethnicity -- unless some time in the future they hire someone. It has been about 5 months now since this happened.

The computers I put together were already pretty obsolete at the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts