2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup boiling water

preheat oven to 350 degrees F

combine the brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl

add the soy milk, oil, and vanilla and beat for two minutes

stir in the boiling water

pour into an eight-inch square cake pan

bake thirty-five to forty minutes

allow cake to cool- the cake is done when a toothpick stuck into the center of the cake comes out free of crumbs

*this makes a damn good cake*

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cake recipe looks good. I'm planning to stick to finger foods -- veggies and hummus, fruit, party mix, coconut-date rolls, one or two types of cookie, and something for the omnivores. Now, I'm stuck on what to do for favors. Anybody know whether Jordan Almonds are vegan?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
ophelia:

have you looked into fabrics from Dharma Trading Company? they sell raw cotton fabrics (among others) as well as dyes to color them to your liking. You could buy fabric by the bolt and dye it to the colors that you want (they have acid and plant/natural dyes).

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post

Cake recipe looks good. I'm planning to stick to finger foods -- veggies and hummus, fruit, party mix, coconut-date rolls, one or two types of cookie, and something for the omnivores. Now, I'm stuck on what to do for favors. Anybody know whether Jordan Almonds are vegan?
MorningCalm: Here's one answer for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Jordan-Almonds.../dp/B000GWEZTE

On the surface, the ingredients LOOK vegan, but I'm not really sure.

This is carnuba wax, btw.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
zoebird- no, i havent yet- i don't really like ordering things off the internet and often can't, seeing as i don't have a credit card. i will, however, have to check out their site and keep it in mind as an option- if i educate myself as to what is out there, i can look for comprable stuff while i am out and about!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
well, you can also ask a fabric company to order however many bolts you need--so a place like JoAnn Fabrics or what have you can special order what you want in the amounts that you need under your name. then it's less of a guessing game.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Ophelia, you don't need a credit card to order things from the net; all you need is a debit card. You can get a debit card at any bank. My bank includes one that is free -- with a free checking account -- also free checks. Anywhere you can use a credit card, you can use a debit card. I don't think there are any exceptions. They look and work exactly the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i am thinking of going into joannes so i can touch the fabric and see how it drapes before i get anything. i also go to chicago a lot and think i will be looking up places there, especially to see if there are any wholesalers that i can look into.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Your wedding sounds lovely! I wasn't a vegetarian yet when I got married. The whole day was kind of a blur, because we were so busy, but it was really nice. I didn't really care what the wedding was like, cause I already had my man, so I basically let my mom plan it.
She was the one who wanted a shindig, and I didn't mind letting her have her dream day. Maybe it'll make up for me not having grandkids.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
your wedding really does sound wonderful (as does the chocolate cake recipe I just copied down)! I can't wait to hear how things unfold, you may inspire us to do something similar. (My partner and I have done it backwards with the child first and the wedding yet to come)...

good luck finding a fabric.

everything sounds lovely!

blessings

echo

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post

*this makes a damn good cake*
OMGoodness, I'm going to have to second that opinion! I was frightened at first because the batter was so liquid before pouring it into the baking pan
but then I thought, wait... this is from the hippy handbook...

I had to substitute organic succant and turbinado for the brown sugar and this is just to die for!

I think it'll become my birthday cake (yes, and only one more week to wait)!

Thanks Ophelia

21 - 33 of 33 Posts