2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup boiling water

preheat oven to 350 degrees F

combine the brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl

add the soy milk, oil, and vanilla and beat for two minutes

stir in the boiling water

pour into an eight-inch square cake pan

bake thirty-five to forty minutes

allow cake to cool- the cake is done when a toothpick stuck into the center of the cake comes out free of crumbs

*this makes a damn good cake*

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cake recipe looks good. I'm planning to stick to finger foods -- veggies and hummus, fruit, party mix, coconut-date rolls, one or two types of cookie, and something for the omnivores. Now, I'm stuck on what to do for favors. Anybody know whether Jordan Almonds are vegan?

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningCalm View Post

Cake recipe looks good. I'm planning to stick to finger foods -- veggies and hummus, fruit, party mix, coconut-date rolls, one or two types of cookie, and something for the omnivores. Now, I'm stuck on what to do for favors. Anybody know whether Jordan Almonds are vegan?
MorningCalm: Here's one answer for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Jordan-Almonds.../dp/B000GWEZTE

On the surface, the ingredients LOOK vegan, but I'm not really sure.

This is carnuba wax, btw.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
zoebird- no, i havent yet- i don't really like ordering things off the internet and often can't, seeing as i don't have a credit card. i will, however, have to check out their site and keep it in mind as an option- if i educate myself as to what is out there, i can look for comprable stuff while i am out and about!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
well, you can also ask a fabric company to order however many bolts you need--so a place like JoAnn Fabrics or what have you can special order what you want in the amounts that you need under your name. then it's less of a guessing game.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Ophelia, you don't need a credit card to order things from the net; all you need is a debit card. You can get a debit card at any bank. My bank includes one that is free -- with a free checking account -- also free checks. Anywhere you can use a credit card, you can use a debit card. I don't think there are any exceptions. They look and work exactly the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i am thinking of going into joannes so i can touch the fabric and see how it drapes before i get anything. i also go to chicago a lot and think i will be looking up places there, especially to see if there are any wholesalers that i can look into.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Your wedding sounds lovely! I wasn't a vegetarian yet when I got married. The whole day was kind of a blur, because we were so busy, but it was really nice. I didn't really care what the wedding was like, cause I already had my man, so I basically let my mom plan it.
She was the one who wanted a shindig, and I didn't mind letting her have her dream day. Maybe it'll make up for me not having grandkids.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
your wedding really does sound wonderful (as does the chocolate cake recipe I just copied down)! I can't wait to hear how things unfold, you may inspire us to do something similar. (My partner and I have done it backwards with the child first and the wedding yet to come)...

good luck finding a fabric.

everything sounds lovely!

blessings

echo

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia View Post

*this makes a damn good cake*
OMGoodness, I'm going to have to second that opinion! I was frightened at first because the batter was so liquid before pouring it into the baking pan
but then I thought, wait... this is from the hippy handbook...

I had to substitute organic succant and turbinado for the brown sugar and this is just to die for!

I think it'll become my birthday cake (yes, and only one more week to wait)!

Thanks Ophelia

21 - 33 of 33 Posts