VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so today i had easter lunch at my uncles house with lots of family. they had ham, i had a fake turkey sandwhich. All was well. I was happy, they were happy. After lunch everyone was in the liveing room talking and chating about various things. We were all haveing a good time. Then my two uncles got to talking about hunting. I sat there very quiet, i didnt say a word I just listened. But it very much annoyed me, wasnt this rude? I mean couldn't they find a better topic? I know its my uncles house but does he have to watch hunting tv shows while im there too? Thats what was on the tv as everyone was talking, dead deer, turkey, elk. Isnt this rude? Now remember, i dont say a word. not one word. Im polite and act as if it doesnt bother me. I know if i said something then i would get in trouble. But it really bothers me and i think its rude. Am I right?

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Well I suppose if you thought it was rude it must be rude , but I dont think so . A lot when confronted with the situation you have just had just tune out ...your uncle sounds like he didn't even noticed you . Its his house part of life been a veg you get situations like that .

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
It would definitely have bothered me but I'm not sure I agree with the rude part. Since it was your uncle's house, if hunting is a part of his lifestyle it would only seem natural that it would be possible topic of conversation.<br><br><br><br>
On the other hand, I must be lucky, because all of my friends are omni and they seem to be very sensitive of certain topics of conversation. They always look at me and apologize if they say something that isn't vegan friendly, even if it's something as simple as what they had for dinner the night before. I totally get why you would not want to sit and listen to a conversation about hunting. And the fact that it was on tv is awful. I probably would have gotten up and gone somewhere else if possible. Maybe read a magazine (unless it was hunting magazine!) or something.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I came from a hunting family too. They know I hate it and I usually look like I'm going to barf during those kinds of discussions. As far as it being rude, well I don't know.... If there is a group of people and they want to talk about something that they all have in common, they should be able to I guess. I can definately see how being trapped in an area where people were talking about gross things would be very disturbing. Was there anyway to go sit with a different group of people or was everyone sitting together? I usually find something that needs to be done elsewhere or try to change the subject to something more paletable. Sorry you were put into that situation....Big hugs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pretty insensitive...maybe a little rude<br><br><br><br>
some members of my family hunt too, and i can't really tell them not to...they've been doing it their entire lives<br><br><br><br>
but in all honestly, wouldn't you rather them go out and shoot a deer or something who has had a normal life and who will probably be killed pretty instantly than go to the supermarket and buy beef or some other meat from an animal that has suffered its entire life?<br><br><br><br>
it seems a better choice to me, even if it isn't totally cruelty free<br><br><br><br>
now, if they were hunting for some other reason than for food, i wouldn't like that at all<br><br><br><br>
but either way, if i were the hunter and someone else in my family were the veg*n...i would avoid talking about hunting in front of them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts