VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Are they hurting because of tooth problems or sinus problems? "

Both. A filling is broken on a lower left first molar and on the second molar behind it. The first molar is broken down near to the pulp but it may not need a root canal, just a layer of calcium hydroxide under the filling to stimulate dentin regeneration. It bothers me less if I am careful to clean food off of the broken area right away after I eat, unless my sinuses start to act up at the same time, then it bothers me no matter what I do. Once the fillng is replaced it should stop bothering me so much. That is what happened when I had the filling replaced, about 6 months ago. They only seem to last about 6 months so I really should get a gold inlay -- that would last a lot longer -- probably at least 10 years. I have an appointment in a few weeks but if they ask for money before doing the fillings, I don't have it yet. Oil of cloves is a good idea but very expensive. I have some lidocaine gel but it isn't helping much.

Having 2 teeth extracted will cost only slightly less than having 2 fillings replaced. Actually, if I have the extractions done by an oral surgeon, they will cost more that fillings. I have applied for 100's of jobs since 2006 June, including Walmart and gone to 3 interviews at 2 Walmarts but no-one has hired me yet.

I have an appointment monday to go to the job hunt club, and tuesday I was planning to go to social security to find out how working will affect my ss payments, but the dental pain is preventing me from taking a bath-shower. The pain is making me uncoordinated, and I am afraid I will slip in the shower-tub.

I am also feeling nauseous now; I think it is from my pain. My left ear hurts as well.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Does your local uni offer dental courses? Being a guinea pig for a learning student is less hazardous than it sounds. I have no dental insurance, either, through a slip-up in our human resource's benefits department and I am looking into this option."

Yes my local uni has a dental school. You are actually in better hands than at an experienced, but rushed dentist, trying to make payments on equipment. Everything they do is double and triple checked by 2 or 3 faculty members, who are the best dentists, the creme de la creme. They state that their rates for most common procedures are about 80% of what most local dentists charge.

I did find a further away dental school that states that for most procedures they charge about 1/2 of what most local dentists charge. However for less common procedures - such as surgical root legthening, or re-doing of previously done endontia, they refer you to a staff member who is not a student, and who charges about full rate. Then the rest of the job is finished by a dental student at 1/2 rate. I have a good student dentist there, who I have developed a good raport with. However I don't yet have the money I need to go forward with the treatment plan he has recommended, in consultation with 3 dental professors. Also, unlike many dentists, who will often set up a long payment plan, they make you shell out full payment in advance. Once I get a job I can get a credit card, but for now I am stuck.

They have advised me that I need one root canal re-done, and root legthening on 2 teeth, 1 implant, 2 core-posts, and 3 crowns -- just to replace my 1 missing front tooth and repair my 2 broken front teeth. They have said they believe this is the best procedure for me, better than making a 7-tooth bridge, and also less expensive, about 4000 as compared to 5,000 (I'm making very rough estimates). Having either procedures done by a local dentest would be about 7,000 and 10,000.

In addition to the missing teeth, which don't hurt, there are the 2 fillings I was talking about which will be about $100 each instead of $200 each, and they advise that I get several other teeth capped soon, BEFORE I need root canals on them. Basicaly a full mouth restoration, but with several teeth left out, because they are ok the way they are or only have small amounts of wear and damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts