VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Oil of cloves can offer a bit of numbing relief. If you don't have that some ground cloves can work in a pinch but tastes kinda gritty. Are they hurting because of tooth problems or sinus problems? My teeth always ache when i have a sinus infection coming.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Are they hurting because of tooth problems or sinus problems? "

Both. A filling is broken on a lower left first molar and on the second molar behind it. The first molar is broken down near to the pulp but it may not need a root canal, just a layer of calcium hydroxide under the filling to stimulate dentin regeneration. It bothers me less if I am careful to clean food off of the broken area right away after I eat, unless my sinuses start to act up at the same time, then it bothers me no matter what I do. Once the fillng is replaced it should stop bothering me so much. That is what happened when I had the filling replaced, about 6 months ago. They only seem to last about 6 months so I really should get a gold inlay -- that would last a lot longer -- probably at least 10 years. I have an appointment in a few weeks but if they ask for money before doing the fillings, I don't have it yet. Oil of cloves is a good idea but very expensive. I have some lidocaine gel but it isn't helping much.

Having 2 teeth extracted will cost only slightly less than having 2 fillings replaced. Actually, if I have the extractions done by an oral surgeon, they will cost more that fillings. I have applied for 100's of jobs since 2006 June, including Walmart and gone to 3 interviews at 2 Walmarts but no-one has hired me yet.

I have an appointment monday to go to the job hunt club, and tuesday I was planning to go to social security to find out how working will affect my ss payments, but the dental pain is preventing me from taking a bath-shower. The pain is making me uncoordinated, and I am afraid I will slip in the shower-tub.

I am also feeling nauseous now; I think it is from my pain. My left ear hurts as well.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Do you have ground cloves in your spice cupboard? You can use them. Make a paste with a wee bit of water and apply to your gums. It will taste yucky but can help. I wish you good luck in finding relief and a job. Heat can also help or cold. I find that heat works for sinus pain. I tend to avoid cold but others like it. Do you have a heating pad or hot water bottle? Try applying that you your face and I hope it brings you relief. Peace.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Does your local uni offer dental courses? Being a guinea pig for a learning student is less hazardous than it sounds. I have no dental insurance, either, through a slip-up in our human resource's benefits department and I am looking into this option."

Yes my local uni has a dental school. You are actually in better hands than at an experienced, but rushed dentist, trying to make payments on equipment. Everything they do is double and triple checked by 2 or 3 faculty members, who are the best dentists, the creme de la creme. They state that their rates for most common procedures are about 80% of what most local dentists charge.

I did find a further away dental school that states that for most procedures they charge about 1/2 of what most local dentists charge. However for less common procedures - such as surgical root legthening, or re-doing of previously done endontia, they refer you to a staff member who is not a student, and who charges about full rate. Then the rest of the job is finished by a dental student at 1/2 rate. I have a good student dentist there, who I have developed a good raport with. However I don't yet have the money I need to go forward with the treatment plan he has recommended, in consultation with 3 dental professors. Also, unlike many dentists, who will often set up a long payment plan, they make you shell out full payment in advance. Once I get a job I can get a credit card, but for now I am stuck.

They have advised me that I need one root canal re-done, and root legthening on 2 teeth, 1 implant, 2 core-posts, and 3 crowns -- just to replace my 1 missing front tooth and repair my 2 broken front teeth. They have said they believe this is the best procedure for me, better than making a 7-tooth bridge, and also less expensive, about 4000 as compared to 5,000 (I'm making very rough estimates). Having either procedures done by a local dentest would be about 7,000 and 10,000.

In addition to the missing teeth, which don't hurt, there are the 2 fillings I was talking about which will be about $100 each instead of $200 each, and they advise that I get several other teeth capped soon, BEFORE I need root canals on them. Basicaly a full mouth restoration, but with several teeth left out, because they are ok the way they are or only have small amounts of wear and damage.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I cringe just reading your post and it upsets me that society in general would have you suffer like this over money. Not that this helps you any I'm afraid.

Chewing gum seems to help with sore teeth, otherwise I think you need a prescription pain killer to manage the pain if nothing can be done.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
I am about at the same pointl Ain't it the stinkin' freakin' pits?! I have some insurance. I go Friday to see how many visits and how much it is going to cost to rebuilt my mouth. Shucky dang, my idea of hell is a root canal and repeated dental work at 5,000 feet in the airl I would rather have a denture. I am going to see about invisiline braces while I am at itl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.