VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had this thread as VW and I thought I would revive it over here!

Often we find ourselves moaning about stupid questions our omni friends ask us or inconsiderate things that they might do sometimes. But, there are also lots of things that they do for us that make our veg*n lifestyles all the more easier and enjoyable.

Ok. I will get the ball rolling.

Yesterday we ran out of bread. I was stuck on the computer doing some uni stuff (yes..... uni stuff..
) and my bf drove all the way across the other side of the lake to the only supermarket that was open at the late hour so that he could get me the bread I can eat (with the vegetable based emulisifer 471), without my asking him too. He had been working all day and was dog tired, but he still drove all the way over there, when he could have just gone to the corner service station and picked up some other bread that he can eat. After all, it was him that wanted more bread in the first place, I had not even noticed and could have easily had breakfast this morning without bread.

What a Sweetheart!

Today my best buddy was ordering some textbooks for me when she was at the bookstore, and she specifically asked the sales guy to order my books "without the shrink wrap" because she knows I would have prefered the books without plastic and wouldn't even have minded if they had have gotten a bit dirty or scuffed by the time I pick them up next week. I didn't even know there was an option!!

What a Sweetheart!

Thanks guys! I really appreciated you both!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wow, how sweet you are to revive this thread!!!

Aren't you going to marry him?? Lucky girl !

I posted this before but just to follow up: my co-worker once made vegan cookies for the whole office just that I could some (I am actually lacto-veg, but she used soymilk just in case!).

Another time, a burger-ramen-chip kind of guy took us to a Indian buffet that offer mostly decent vegan dishes

My mom insisted on eating veg meals during her one-week visit. She is omni.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Whenever someone at the office has a birthday, the person(s) with whom they work most closely makes a cake for the office to share. On my birthday a few weeks ago, our receptionist and my secretary made a huge bowl of guacamole and another huge bowl of fresh salsa, which they served with tortilla chips and black beans. They also made a wonderful fruit salad, and bought vegan chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake and carrot cake from Whole Foods. It was a banquet!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
My family is actually very accomodating and they try hard to make fods that I can eat. They have all enjoyed trying new dishes and my mom has become lacto-ovo veg. herself.

My husband always reads labels when he does the grocery shopping. The fact that he does a lot of the grocery shopping is sweet in itself! On my birthday last year he made me a vegan chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Everyone loved it!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My omni friend is very considerate - any time she is making a meal - she checks with me to make sure that there will be something for me to eat. When we go out to eat, she makes sure that there will be something for me to eat at the restaurant and she will ask me if her ordering a meat dish bothers me. My big project is to get her to eat at the local vegetarian place - all of their food is meatless and either vegetarian or vegan. I personally love the place, but she isn't convinced yet.

My office is also very considerate - when we have a food day, they make sure to check with me on whether I can eat a particular dish before bringing it. I even got everyone hooked on bringing carrots in for a snack. Hee Hee my every growing influence continues.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yesterday my mom took me to brunch at the local veggie restaurant. The restaurant serves eggs, but she ordered tofu scramble with soy cheese so I could try it if I wanted.

I'm having Easter dinner with the bf's family and I asked him if I needed to bring my own food and he said not to worry--that he was making something for me to eat and that his brother was, also.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
when i go out for dinner with my bf he's always the first to pull the server aside and ask about vegan menu items. at the restaurant he works at he bugs them to get more veg items on the menu and he knows which cook we can trust when i'm there and always asks them to make sure my food is ok.

when i visit my mom we always go grocery shopping as soon as i get there so there's stuff i can have while i'm there. she goes nuts reading things and pointing out things i could have even if i don't want them, and talks me into getting all sorts of things i normally don't even eat just because they're vegan. she did groceries before i got there once and even bought tofu even though she didn't have the slightest idea what to do with it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
A die-hard omni friend of mine begged me today to get him some roasted garlic hummus because he'd had it at my house and loved it. When I took it to his dorm room, he gave me this huge hug and spun me around the room (well, actually it was the hallway). *grins* I like it when my actions are appreciated!

·
Registered
904 Posts
My parents were away on an overnight trip yesterday. On their way back they stopped in a city to look for tortillas and rice paper for me. They found the tortillas but ended up going to a couple of stores in a strange city trying to find some rice paper. It was so sweet of them, I should have been the furthest thing from their minds.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
I haven't lived with my parent's for a couple years now but whenever my mom cooks chili or potato salad she always makes a seperate pan with vegan versions of her cookings and saves them in the fridge for whenever I come over to visit her next. My mom's great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We had our company dinner Friday night. The dish being served was beef tips and salmon. Everyone had that except for me. My boss arranged with the caterers to have a vegan meal made for me.

The last time we had a cookout here at work, the warehouse manager cooked my veggie burger on the grill in aluminum foil to keep it away from the regular burgers. Also, a coworker made vegan cookies for me (using banana instead of egg).

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
My mum informed some of her colleagues about vegetarianism. After telling them that she had a veggie son, they all said "Oh, he'll grow out of it" and "It's just a phase" But she stuck up for my position, saying that I've been veggie for years now, and that it's not like I'll be going back. Then the nutrition worries came in! So she settled them by saying that meat isn't the only source of protein. I wasn't even there, and my mum stuck up for me. Excellent! She even informed them that vegetarians don't eat fish.

·
Registered
878 Posts
aaaawwww i wish i had friends and family like your guys's my friends and family hates me being veggie ( thats rite im not even vegan and they hate it although i will be when i move out ) and wont support me ! damn them !!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Don't worry sprout. Hopefully, your parents will come to support you after a while. I went vegetarian in 1997, and there wa sa lot of conflict within the firt week. My mum was extremely p*ssed off, because she does the shopping, and she had to adapt her shopping in order to fit my decision. My dad was scared that I'd end up with a B-12/protein/iron deficiency, and they thought I had gone crazy.

But after a whiel, they came to appreciate my new way of eating. There have been times where it has been hard to get something decent in restaurants and they've said "Well if you'd just eat meat, then it's be so much easier" and stuff, but give it some time, and your parents should support you. It'd be good if you could gett hem to try some veggie food. I've had trouble doing this, since we don't eat together as a family, and since my parents strictly adhere to the philosophy that a meal must contain meat, but they're open to the idea now, and though they haven't adopted it themselves, they're Ok with me being vegetarian after some time has passed. My dad now understands that I can get nutrition from veggies, though he's not open to veganism at all. (Last time we discussed vegetarianism as a family, he was saying how "extreme" veganism is.) But give it some time, and your parents should be Ok with you, once they realise that it isn't a fad.

·
Registered
0 Posts
We where at the lake last weekend, and my bf's dad got some tofu for us to cook on our own(meat free) bbq- We brought veggies to cook, but he wanted us to have some tofu to cook-He got the silken kind
but it was totally the thought that counts! I declined his potato salad offer and he said-You didn't go vegan on me did you sindy? I kinda just sheepishly smiled and said yes. My own father would have a fit if he found out I wasn't eating ovo-lacto anymore-Next time I visit I have no idea how to aproach this issue with him-he is old and close-minded. The only thing I could have on my side is the weight I have lost-I gained a little in my Cheese-tarian phase!

·
Registered
624 Posts
My roomie is lacto-ovo veggie so she's always consciencious of what she buys, but has started looking for things without whey and other food things she might not have before. But her boyfriend, a complete omni has actually started looking when he buys her and I groceries sometimes. I'm lucky with the family also, my dads a lacto-ovo veggie, and he'll always set things aside. For passover this year he even wants to make bbq seitan instead of brisket for the few veggies that are coming.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My landlord (you heard it, the landlord!) makes Monk food for us all the time!! She also told other omni people who share the kitchen not to use my fav plates and bowls

·
Registered
0 Posts
My grandma is Italian and every year a bunch of her friends/relatives get together to bake all this Italian goodness. When I went veg that baking was the only thing I missed. This year, they all tried to make most of the stuff vegan! a lot of it didn't turn out, but they didn't mind (at least not that i know of lol) and promised to try again next year. and i didnt even ask them to do this!

When my mom cook something that usually has the meat and/or cheese mixed in (stirfry, certain salads, ect) she cooks it seperatly and puts in in a side dish for the rest of my family to add if they want to. also, she has stopped using milk and butter to make things like mashed potatoes (soy milk!)

massive change since I first went veg!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i recently went to oregon to visit my omni brother and his family (wife, niece,nephew). they had plenty of food i could eat, even stuff i am normally to poor to buy like all of the fake meats. My sister-in-law made wonderful food for all of us to eat that was vegan. they took me to the towns vegetarian restaurant which was delicious and even but separate, uncontaminated, plates and cookware for me before i came up which wasnt necessary but very sweet. i told them ahead of time i would even stop by the co-op so they wouldnt be put out at all but they did all that anyway.

my very omni friend always makes sure he has soy milk in his fridge and various things i can eat for when i come over.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts